cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula boot issues

zhunterzz
Level 7
Gents,

I have been having all kinds of trouble recently with my new build.

Specs:
i3770K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS Maximus V Formula - BIOS Rev. 701 (tried 1309)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz
Crucial M4 64GB SSD - Boot
EVGA GTX 670 2GB
WD 1TB HDD - storage
WD 500GB HDD - backup
Cooler Master 750w PSU

Initially I was getting the Q-Code 55 (not led) for DRAM, so re-seated the memory and updated bios and also made sure to manually set memory setting in bios and it was ok for a while.

More recently, on cold boot (after sitting all day while im at work) it turns on and I get no bios post, just the DRAM Q-LED and getting a 72 Q-Code.

After power cycling it, I got a boot device Q-LED (Q-CODE A2) and then rebooted again and got a Q-LED for VGA.

Its the weirdest thing. I don't understand why it keeps doing this, but most of the time its the DRAM LED.

Today I'm getting in there to install a fan cable and i'm gonna re-seat the memory as I've heard people say that the one sided RAM clips don't get the best connection. I have tried everything I can think of short of pulling it apart. I just built this and I really don't wanna pull it apart, but I wanna RMA stuff if its defective but with the random codes its throwing, its hard to pinpoint the problem. I know all the mobo stands are correct, double and triple checked those.

I appreciate your insights.
36 REPLIES 36

Chino
Level 15
You didn't specify the number of sticks of RAM you're using. 2x8GB? or 4x4GB?

Try booting with the bare minimum (CPU + 1 Stick of Ram) and see if any of the codes come up.

Chino wrote:
You didn't specify the number of sticks of RAM you're using. 2x8GB? or 4x4GB?

Try booting with the bare minimum (CPU + 1 Stick of Ram) and see if any of the codes come up.

I have 4x4GB so all slots full.

I ran Memtest last night and got no errors. I will give your guide a look. I will also let you all know what it does on cold boot when I get home.

HiVizMan
Level 40
72 for a while means your system is trying to train your ram.

Run memtest86+ follow my guide that can be found in the link in my sig please. That will help us with the problem solving if there is a error in any of the cycles.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers thanks mate, have subscribed so will get an email when you reply. I will check in the morning in anycase 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ok, So,

I get home from work, just powered it on. It seems to run through all the startup Q-Codes just fine, then gets to "9A" and sits with a blank screen and the VGA_LED stays on. No post, no video. No thing about the ram this time. So odd.

I am using two in the rear.

I just shut it off, let it sit for about 20 mins. Booted up, ran through some startup Q-Codes then went to "b2", then took a few seconds and went to "A2" with Boot Device LED lit.

So I shut it off,

Boot again,

goes through "A2", gets eventually to "A0"and booted windows fine.

It does this every day, and even as a PC Tech, I just can't pinpoint what the cause is.

Chino wrote:
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Yes, whenever I do a CMOS clear, before cold boot or after a few unsuccessful boots, it will boot fine. Then next cold boot. Same ordeal. No post.

I'm removing Ram now, to see what I get, gonna reseat stuff.