+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Windows 8 Product Code on New G75VW from Best Buy

  1. #1
    New ROGer Drago95 +10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Windows 8 Product Code on New G75VW from Best Buy

    I got a new G75VW from Best Buy with Windows 8 preinstalled. However, there is no sticker on the bottom with the Windows 8 product key. Is there any way I can find the key that was used to install Windows 8 on my laptop?

  2. #2
    No Longer Works at ASUS cl-scott +30
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    764

    IIRC, with Windows 8 those stickers are a thing of the past. The product key is embedded in the BIOS/UEFI and the installer will just read it from there.

  3. #3
    ASUS Reseller Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brunswick,Ohio
    Posts
    885

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago95 View Post
    I got a new G75VW from Best Buy with Windows 8 preinstalled. However, there is no sticker on the bottom with the Windows 8 product key. Is there any way I can find the key that was used to install Windows 8 on my laptop?
    Also check behind the battery

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt finalhour +20
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    296

    It should still be listed if you go to 'Computer', then 'System Properties' where it displays the Windows Edition and System Rating and such, scroll down and it will display the windows product key that was used :-) Simple as that!
    G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast soulctcher +10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    43

    Quote Originally Posted by finalhour View Post
    It should still be listed if you go to 'Computer', then 'System Properties' where it displays the Windows Edition and System Rating and such, scroll down and it will display the windows product key that was used :-) Simple as that!
    The Product ID is NOT the key that was used. Checking behind the battery is a good idea.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt finalhour +20
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    296

    Quote Originally Posted by soulctcher View Post
    The Product ID is NOT the key that was used. Checking behind the battery is a good idea.
    ahhhh my mistake.
    G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Area 66 +20 Area 66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North of Montreal
    Posts
    2,277

    No one read what Scott said,,,,,, they are no key sticker on Windows 8 laptop and desktop like HP, Dell and co, it's embedded in the UEFI BIOS

  8. #8
    ASUS Reseller Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brunswick,Ohio
    Posts
    885

    Quote Originally Posted by Area 66 View Post
    No one read what Scott said,,,,,, they are no key sticker on Windows 8 laptop and desktop like HP, Dell and co, it's embedded in the UEFI BIOS
    It's on the laptops we've been selling...

    **note not G-series, we're no longer stocking the G75VW
    Last edited by Shawnnepc; 11-08-2012 at 01:02 AM.

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Area 66 +20 Area 66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North of Montreal
    Posts
    2,277

    you sell laptop with Windows 8 ?

  10. #10
    ASUS Reseller Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brunswick,Ohio
    Posts
    885

    Quote Originally Posted by Area 66 View Post
    you sell laptop with Windows 8 ?
    I've been selling quite a bit of laptops with Windows 8

    I just looked at a few that we've been setting up and some have stickers (Clevo,MSI and Compal)

    I don't have any ASUS in stock but 2 of the HP's we have to repair have it embedded. So I guess it's up for grabs if you'll have a sticker or not
    Last edited by Shawnnepc; 11-08-2012 at 01:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts