cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a replacement NB cooler.

Serpentine645
Level 7
So I have looked all over the web for the last week for a replacement cooler for my NB on my CHV. I just dont like the temps I'm getting. Has anyone seen or heard of a active air cooler for the MOSFETs and NB? Iv found some MOSFET coolers by Enzotech which look like they may work. http://enzotechnology.com/air_cooling.htm I just need to do some measuring.

But im just curious what people have done or even thought of. I have complete access to a machine shop so I mod as much as I want. Iv even thought of cutting the heatpipe between the NB cooler going to the MOSFETS and turning the cooler into 2 parts. Or does someone know if you can slide the pipe out of the heatsink over the NB? Taking my rig apart at the moment would be very time consuming at the moment so I'm looking to you guys for some info. Thanks Guys!
AMD FX-8150 @ 4.3Ghz
Asus Crosshair Formula V
16GB G.Skill DDR3 @2120
2 x Asus HD7870
Corsair H100 Water Cooling Kit
Corsair HX850 PSU
Corsair 400R Case
Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD
3 x WD 1TB Blacks in RAID5
44 REPLIES 44

Atomfix
Level 7
What sort of Northbridge temperatures are you getting?
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.05GHz 1.48V / Northbridge @ 3000MHz 1.3V
ASUS Crosshair Formula V
G.Skill Trident X @ 1600MHz / 7-7-8-20-22 1T / 1.57V
XFX Radeon 5870 1GB - Voltage Control
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W
Modified Raza 750 / 2x Radiators CPU Loop

Under load its hitting 42C to 45C. And once it idles it takes forever for the temps to drop. And the lowest it drops to is maybe 34C to 36C while at cold idle. Im not currently infront of my rig so I cant look. I know it gets hot enough that the cooler shouldn't be touched.
AMD FX-8150 @ 4.3Ghz
Asus Crosshair Formula V
16GB G.Skill DDR3 @2120
2 x Asus HD7870
Corsair HX850 PSU
Corsair 400R Case
Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD

I get those exact same temps, i don't think its anything to be concerned about, i hear they're good up to 70-80

TenBlade
Level 11
Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II is the stuff! Small efficient massive copper base with it´s own fan. http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1305&ID=1610
You can even bend it carefully if your cpu cooler and the Extr. Spirit are colliding, I did that on an old STriker II Extreme. I´ll try and dig up some old pic.s

TenBlade
Level 11
Had to forcefully knock off the factory applied waterblock of course...scary moment. Then glued the little devil onto NB, and I was one happy camper 🙂

speed
Level 12
Just set up a little 60mm fan on top of your NB like this. I don't think you need it. I don't think I need it, but it can't hurt. So I run it just for the heck of it.

Being ingnorant and ingnored one post at a time.

See my thing is i want something a little more clean looking. So the best idea that some friends and I can come up with is to try to slowly heat up the heat pipe and slide/push it out of the cooler thats over the northbridge. Then bend the pipe up so theres no chance of any contact onto the board. All thats left is to cut the red bar in the cooler to separate the 2 coolers. then all thats left is to replace the NB cooler with something abit more active. I was looking at getting this :http://enzotechnology.com/cnb_r1.htm. My issue is no where online can I see a pic of the underside of our heatsink. We are concerned that we wont be able to slide/push the heat pipe due to how it was constructed. Any one have some detailed pics of their MOSFET/NB cooler? ^_^
AMD FX-8150 @ 4.3Ghz
Asus Crosshair Formula V
16GB G.Skill DDR3 @2120
2 x Asus HD7870
Corsair HX850 PSU
Corsair 400R Case
Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD

No love for the heatsink? the temperatures your getting is normal, heck... Mine runs up to 55C sometimes because I overvolted my Northbrdige.

What are you hoping to achieve?
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.05GHz 1.48V / Northbridge @ 3000MHz 1.3V
ASUS Crosshair Formula V
G.Skill Trident X @ 1600MHz / 7-7-8-20-22 1T / 1.57V
XFX Radeon 5870 1GB - Voltage Control
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W
Modified Raza 750 / 2x Radiators CPU Loop

I hoping to create a environment for my rig so that it can last me a few more years. This is my 4 OC'd rig and heat in every way has been my enemy. I know I sound a bit extreme but this NB right now is the hottest thing in my case other than my 2 HD7870s. One idea im working on now is mounting fan adapters to the top-side panel 140mm fan to a 80mm rigid duct which I'll point directly to the NB cooler. I just ordered my parts i need but my duct is coming from china. So I know I get to wait on it. ^_^
AMD FX-8150 @ 4.3Ghz
Asus Crosshair Formula V
16GB G.Skill DDR3 @2120
2 x Asus HD7870
Corsair HX850 PSU
Corsair 400R Case
Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD