cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD gone? Error "Reboot and Select proper Boot device"

Mirinda
Level 7
Hello dear gamers,

hopefully somebody can help me with this problem.

I have an Asus G55 with an SSD and an HDD. Windows 7 is installed on the SSD, on the HDD there is data only. I haven't modified the computer in any way beyond doing the usual windows updates and similar.

When I turn on my computer it shows the error message:

"Reboot and select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

When I go into BIOS and look on the page "Boot" at "Boot Option priorities" there are only my HDD and my BD-Rom drive listed. The SSD can't be selected, it's not shown as an option. I went to "Save & Exit" and took the "Restore Defaults" option but my SSD is still not listed and the computer doesn't boot.

I remember when I last used it I sent it to hibernate and at the end the power cable got disconnected. Even though the battery was in, maybe there was a power out that somehow changed BIOS? Just speculating, I have no idea...

Does anybody know how I could fix this? I already miss my g55 so much...:( I only want to send it in to asus as a last resort since I really need it here and there is data on it I need for work.

Thank you all in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

rewben
Level 13
you meant you have your ssd in the primary hdd bay, and your HDD is in a hdd caddy, right?

can you try to pull out the hdd caddy to see if it can boot?

They are both internal drives. I've never opened the computer so they are at the same place they are installed to by the factory.

rewben
Level 13
ah you have a g75, not g55.

when you press the esc key several times when the rog logo shows up, can you see the ssd showing in the popup menu?

Oh, it is a g55. Got one with an SSD 🙂

On the screen "Please select boot device"
there is only "P1: ST9750420AS" which is my HDD
and "P2: Slimtype BD e SS6E2SH" which is my BD-Rom Drive

nothing more *sigh*

Had the similar problem -- it was gone after downgrading BIOS from 209 to 206!
ASUS G55VW-S1061V, BIOS #206, CPU Intel i7-3610M (2,3GHz@3,3GHZ in boost), RAM DDR3-1600 4x4Gb Corsair Vegneance (9-9-9-24, 1T), GPU nVidia GeForce GTX 660M (2Gb GDDR5), mSata SSD OCZ NOCTI 120Gb (Sata2), SSD OCZ Agility 4 256Gb (Sata3, HDD bay), HDD 2,5" Hitachi 1Tb (Sata2, ODD bay), Windows 7 x64 SP1 (7,3 points)...

rewben
Level 13
@Mirinda, oh ok 🙂 did you do any updates recently?

@ Winnie Pooh, i am using bios 209 with fresh windows install. there is no issue so far.

edit: it's a long shot, but can you take out your battery and unplug the power cord; then press the power button for, say, 5 to 10 seconds; then put the battery back on, and plug in the power cord, then start your laptop?

rewben wrote:
@ Winnie Pooh, i am using bios 209 with fresh windows install. there is no issue so far.

Sorry, I just want to specify -- it was gone after downgrading BIOS from 209 to 206 plus upgrading my SSD OCZ Agility 4 firmware from 1.4.2 to 1.5.1.2... See precise information about in my signature...
ASUS G55VW-S1061V, BIOS #206, CPU Intel i7-3610M (2,3GHz@3,3GHZ in boost), RAM DDR3-1600 4x4Gb Corsair Vegneance (9-9-9-24, 1T), GPU nVidia GeForce GTX 660M (2Gb GDDR5), mSata SSD OCZ NOCTI 120Gb (Sata2), SSD OCZ Agility 4 256Gb (Sata3, HDD bay), HDD 2,5" Hitachi 1Tb (Sata2, ODD bay), Windows 7 x64 SP1 (7,3 points)...

@rewben: I did as you recommended but it still does not work.

The only updates I did recently was windows stuff. I can't remember specifically but it seemed like the regular updates.

@Winnie Pooh: Did you also have your Boot-drive missing? What exactly did you do to solve your problem? I've never done any Bios downgrading.

Mirinda wrote:
@Winnie Pooh: Did you also have your Boot-drive missing? What exactly did you do to solve your problem? I've never done any Bios downgrading.

Well, I got to say, that I never lost my boot drives in that notebook! The problem I mean was that my BIOS was not able to see my new SSD OCZ Agility 4 256Gb in all of the bays, while my HDD Hitachi 1Tb is working in ODD bay and HDD bay absolutely OKey! My caddy adapter for changing Optical Drive to HDD or SSD drive is absolutely OKey, too! I tried to start my new SSD in ODD bay, in HDD bay, I tried to change Sata Controller's modes, but situation was always the same -- BIOS see new SSD from time to time and it was impossible to use! The only two things I did to solve the problem -- I downgraded my G55 BIOS from 209 to 206 and upgraded my new SSD OCZ Agility 4 256Gb firmware from 1.4.2 to 1.5.1.2 at one time, so I'm really sorry, but I don't now what of that things made my new SSD work as it should! For now everything works like in my signature... And it works quite stable and fast!

The only advice I can give you is to check, what bay your SSD is in! I think your HDD drive is most likely in the HDD bay which is under the notebook and easy user-accessible! And to realize where your SSD is very simple --- Do you have an Optical Drive in DVD bay? If so - that you have problems with your mSata SSD or notebook BIOS! If you have your SSD in your ODD bay -- than I advice you to swap it with your HDD and look what will happen! In any case you have to ask some of your friends who is talanted in computers! Doing this work yourself can possibly harm the notebook! 😞