cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V vs. Rampage IV

Bark
Level 7
Hi,

I'm a neophyte at this whole build it yourself thing. But, I've enjoyed lurking in this forum. I appear to have bought into the whole ASUS ROG thing. I've tried to find dialogue on this subject here but I've not been able to find it. Sorry if its posted elsewhere.

I want a machine that is going to stand the test of time. I don't mind spending some today for higher quality, longer lifespan. My current perception is that a quality motherboard is the best bang for the buck in terms of future proofing. I plan to use the 'click it' version of OC'ing as I'm not inclined to go deep into the OC activity. But, I'm stuck at the decision between Maximus and Rampage. I haven't decided if I'll do Formula or Gene. But, the Extreme is beyond my needs.

That decision seems to be based on LGA 1155/Z77 or LGA 2011/X79. It seems like LGA 1155 is more mainstream while LGA 2011 is more enthusiast. Is this true? Will LGA 2011 components generally cost more than LGA 1155 components in perpetuity?

On the surface, if looking at the cost, the Rampage costs more than Maximus. But, if I only go as far as a i7-3820 for the Rampage and compare to a i7-3770K for the Maximus, the combined cost difference is minimized. That said, the i7-3820 is the cheapest CPU alternative for LGA 2011. While the LGA 1155 has allot of lower priced CPU options. It also seems like the current LGA 2011 are a generation behind the current LGA 1155. So, 'maybe' in a year or two, the LGA 2011 will offer easy upgrading (just the CPU). Is that true? The question here is, would the enthusiast package (LGA 2011/X79) get more lifespan?

One last question, can I OC the i7-3820 with the ASUS OC software? Or, do I need to go into the BIOS and do it manually?

TIA,
Bark
12 REPLIES 12

kkn
Level 14
well OC'ing is best to do inside bios, there will always be trial and errors whit every thing.
upside on the rampage is that it have 16x pcie slots ( look on the specs of it ) and the maximus have 16x one slot and when adding a second card it drops to 8x/8x.
maximus have 4 ram slots, rampage have 8 slots.
there will be one or 2 that have the rampage posting here not too long i bet 😉

Sam

First off, I think there both super motherboards. The i7-3770K with minimal overclocking will beat the 3820. But the 3770k doesn't offer any upward developments. If you go with the rampage and the 3820 you can always upgrade to a 3930k or 3960x.

If I had the money when I bought my system I would have went with the rampage board and the 3930k.
x99-pro/3.1 | i7-5820k | 16gb gskils 3000 | Nvidia gtx 980 ti | 512gb SM950 Pro | Predator 360 AIO | ASUS PA248Q | Seasonic Platnium 1000w

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Bark wrote:
I want a machine that is going to stand the test of time.

Hmmm my first response to this would be buy a steam engine not a PC. Both lga 2011 and 1155 will be dead as ditch water in a couple of years max (being optimistic). So the best thing to do is probably not buy the top end enthusiast kit and get the mainstream stuff and OC it in a years time and then change it for the next thing.

X79 will apparently take Ivy bridge E but by the time it comes out Haswell may well be just round the corner.

the presets will generaly not work well with the 3820 since it has a multiplier locked at 43....you will need to play with BCLK to OC it.

Don't be put off by this post just don't think future proofing with PCs there isn't any.

TenBlade
Level 11
Hi, welcome to the world of ROG n´ roll.
What in particular do you use, or do you want to use your pc for? If you have no higher demands, other than a long lasting pc, then don´t overclock, it would preserve the longevity of your components.
If you have any plans on maxing performance for typically games, then prepare yourself for the joys and excitement of a home built rig. Preset OC profiles tend to run higher than necessary voltages, thus the risk of components not lasting that long. So, I can definitely recommend a BIOS overclock, there´s enough to study up on here, and assistance to be had.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nothing is future proof.

That being said depending on what you want to do with your PC, a system of 7 years ago is still able to run a word processor and surf the web with ease. All depends of purpose and use.

Using the single click options to overclock is potentially more hassle than it is worth. And there is no need to overclock any system for 99% of users. My 24/7 system is at stock. It is only when I do game with multi-cards that I will bump my CPU up to 4.2GHz.

The Maximus range is the "Mainstream" but is the top performer megahertz by megahertz currently. You are restricted to 4 actual and 4 virtual cores. But then there are so few applications that actually manage to be optimised for 4 or more cores not sure that 6 + 6 is much of a benefit unless you are rendering 3D graphics 24/7.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hivizman,

So I am not able to overclock my cpu and have it like this 24/7 and the only time it would get stressed is when i am working with video and gaming?? i thought that is what the intel speedstep is for to save energy and not have process running as fast if you do not need it. or am i totally off my rocker?? i am planning on getting a i7-3970x soon and hoped to get a stable over clock of 4.8 or better because cooling will not be a problem. i should be able to keep it under 40c no matter. could you impart some of your wisdom to me?

Well if you have the budget, then go for rampage,

or

you could go for the formula or extreme+ i7-3770k and upgrade other parts like the video card and harddrive or ssd or rams...or monitor hehehe
Intel Core i7-3770K| Asus Maximus V Formula | Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866 CL9-9-9-27 Red Green| Western Digital Black 1tb | Corsair AX860i | NZXT Phantom Red|

Area_66
Level 11
Bark wrote:
Hi,

I....
I want a machine that is going to stand the test of time. I don't mind spending some today for higher quality, longer lifespan.

You better save money and purchase what you need now. Every time I purchase something in case I will need it latter, I finish to buy other thing when the need come.

Thanks for the responses. I should have mentioned that I'll do a bit of gaming and some home CAD/FEA work. I haven't been a hardcore gamer for awhile. The machine will not be fully utilized but as software catches up, it will be.

I understand 'future proofing' is not possible. From my side though, I haven't bought into the buy a new computer once every 2 years program. Although I consider computing like 'rent,' the less product you buy the less is poorly recycled in China. Computers aren't yet like the automobile in that regard. I don't have much faith in selling slightly used components but, that said, I haven't tried. It feels to me like spending more for less but I could be wrong for sure. (Plus, building a super capable machine these days is pretty inexpensive, especially if I compare to ready made from Dell, for example.)

Thanks for the note on reliability/longevity in regards to OC'ing. It makes sense if you stress a part more that its life expectancy would suffer. I was thinking that if the OC was 'conservative' and appropriately cooled that it wouldn't be bad. Maybe I was putting too much faith in the temperature side of the equation? Food for thought. I like the idea to OC once the machine needs it.

If I do the OC thing, definitely an 'if', I could probably follow tutorials, etc. to do thru BIOS. BIOS has definitely changed. From Youtube, it looks very easy. But, its not clear to me if the 'Autotune' function is available for the i7-3820. Does anyone know? I think I read somewhere, "Someone with experience could OC it." Something like that.

Thanks!