cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIndows 8 Dynamic Ticks Freezing issue

jpsgaming
Level 8
Hello,

A lot of people have been reporting windows 8 will freeze up randomly.

Its been happening to me especially when using a web browser or when my computer idles a few hours. Ill come back its frozen and Ill have to hit the reset button.

All my drivers are up to date etc etc

I read up and was told it was an issue with Windows 8 Dynamic Ticks and the processor.

http://www.withinwindows.com/2012/06/28/workaround-for-windows-8-freezing-issues/

I was told to input the following command to disable dynamick ticks. I am going to try that as well tonight and see if it fixes it.

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

have to enter it in command prompt with admin privlidges (gotta right click cmd.exe and run as admin)

Some people have said that it was fixed for them when they upgraded their Mobo's BIOS. Ive got the last version of the Rampage IV BIOS but not the very latest. I plan to upgrade tomorrow.

I have a 3930K and the Rampage IV. Win 8 PRO

Has anyone else heard about this issue with Windows 8. Its been around since Developer preview and Im running the retail release of 8 professional.

Im surprised Microsoft has not fixed it yet.

Thanks

Anyone know if the latest BIOS will fix it?
11 REPLIES 11

Nodens
Level 16
No the latest UEFI won't fix it because it's not related. The issue is on Microsoft's side and a bad implementation of a bad idea. I've been recommending anyone on Win8 to disable dynamic tick for a few months now (just search for dynamic tick on this forum alone :p).

The feature in itself is useless. It is supposed to "stop" the clock while the PC is idlying, in order to save power. The power you can actually save by doing so is laughable which makes this feature a joke for desktop computers (now for mobile devices it's another story and mobile applications will probably be built with dynamic tick in mind) . The reason why it's not working properly is because of what it is supposed to do. A great many deal of applications and drivers actualy depend on an accurate clock and "stopping" the clock kind of breaks that accuracy causing a gazzilion of problems. Forget fixing the damn thing and just disable it.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Juanlo
Level 9
If the metro interface wasn't enough, now we get this. Why doesn't Microsoft simply disable these features by default on desktop computers, and leave them only for mobile devices?

Juanlo wrote:
If the metro interface wasn't enough, now we get this. Why doesn't Microsoft simply disable these features by default on desktop computers, and leave them only for mobile devices?

Amen to that!
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
What do you mean by stopping the clock? I run windows 8 pro and leave my system on over night come back and shes good to go.

Nodens
Level 16
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_clock

RealBench Developer.

Dodga
Level 7
had lot of problems with my plextor M3P ssd (been freezing every few seonds), took forever to install win8 (it worked like a scharm with win7)
Replaced it with a samsung830 and everything was fine
Went back to win7 because of some other issues i had (software related)

Dodga wrote:
had lot of problems with my plextor M3P ssd (been freezing every few seonds), took forever to install win8 (it worked like a scharm with win7)
Replaced it with a samsung830 and everything was fine
Went back to win7 because of some other issues i had (software related)

Using two M3P's myself for OS and have never had an issue with these drives.
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K

Chris123NT
Level 7
I thought this issue was fixed for RTM. I saw the problem in most of the pre-release builds, but it stopped happening for me when RTM came out, and I haven't touched that setting on any of my machines and it't been fine. The release preview would freeze almost daily until I disabled it though.

Nodens
Level 16
They probably have fixed some issues pertaining to interal OS mechanics. They can't fix 3rd party drivers and software that can't work properly with it. Even if you are not actively "seeing" a problem, there could be one under the hood. On my development rig, I can see the effect of the "feature" in WDK metrics...

RealBench Developer.