cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Recovery Burner

Zachery_Cook
Level 7
Hello everyone! I'm new here and it's nice to meet all of you.

So here's my dilemma, I just purchased a G75VW-DH72 laptop from BestBuy, here's a link to their site that has all the specs. http://tinyurl.com/b32q964. Now this is my first laptop or notebook and I was told with most you usually need four DVDs so you can burn recovory disks. But when I started up my new Asus laptop it didn't pop-up an recovery message, so I decided to look through the guide. I came across a part that said you can burn recovery DVDs by using something call the AI Recovery Burner on your desktop. Well I looked at my desktop and couldn't find it, so I decided to go to My Computer and search for AI Recovery Burner and it also found nothing. So what's the deal can i not make recovory DVDs? Am I supposed to download it somewhere? I've contacted both Asus and BestBuy and still have no answers. Is it because I have Windows 8?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.
15 REPLIES 15

rewben
Level 13
i'm afraid Ai Recovery Burner will no longer be available for models with windows 8. it's phasing out.

Surpirisingly just as you answered this I finally got a reply from Asus, sadly 4 days later. I'm not sure if anyone else ahs Windows 8 and is looking to make backups but this is the advice Asus sent me.

http://www.technoon.com/how-to-create-windows-8-system-image.html

Thank you very much, I'm happy to hear that I wasn't simply just missing it but that there was a reason why I was missing it.

rewben
Level 13
no problem. the downside of this windows backup feature is that it can only be used for the same hdd (i think i read it somewhere in this forum). in case you wanna save your product key, see here for the steps (look for 'Where can I find information on my Windows 8 product key?').

rewben wrote:
no problem. the downside of this windows backup feature is that it can only be used for the same hdd (i think i read it somewhere in this forum).

Wrong ... system image can be restored to any hard drive of same size or larger ... will not work to restore onto a smaller drive.

SHOULD BE TESTED by pulling out original drive and using a different drive ... to make sure it does work.

The system image keeps all the keys etc ... only fresh installs should require windows keys ... not restore from system image.

Rewben do you just guess about these things?

john_from_ohio wrote:
Wrong ... system image can be restored to any hard drive of same size or larger ... will not work to restore onto a smaller drive.

SHOULD BE TESTED by pulling out original drive and using a different drive ... to make sure it does work.

The system image keeps all the keys etc ... only fresh installs should require windows keys ... not restore from system image.

Rewben do you just guess about these things?

no, john. i read a user reported that he could not use the win8 system image for another disk. i will try to find the original post about this. i think i should have tested that before i gave such information 😕

correct, the system image should install everything, including the key. i just point that out in case the user wish to do a fresh install.

edit: the original post is here. he attempted to use a system image from a large drive to a smaller ssd. thanks, john for pointing this out! and sorry for the wrong info 😕

Uglykiwi
Level 7
i got a new g75vx. yes the ai recovery had been removed

Pitcher1
Level 9

DRAKON
Level 7
Great... except for the fact that it doesn't work for Windows 8 pre-installed laptops. To be honest I'm really disappointed with the software support from asus.

Don't get me wrong I love the hardware but as it comes to restoring asus just screw up big time. Not only I pay for original Windows 8, not only I do not receive windows 8 key as a sticker on the back of the laptop as most brands does with pre-installed Windows OS, but I do not really have a tool to transfer the OS to another hard drive ( as supporting 2 HDD is part of the advertisement I would imagine Asus actually designed it to have 2 ). Of course I found alternative way and programs to do it but... honestly disappointed...

rewben
Level 13
@DRAKON, it's the lack of public awareness of the information that are readily available i think. there is a FAQ page at ASUS Support website, which highlights some of transitional changes in machines with preloaded w8, including the part that these machines will no longer have stickers along with the right steps to get the product key. the procedure for factory restore has changed, too (as highlighted in the FAQ page; it's now using windows 8's built-in feature for that purpose).

then there are changes in the OEM preparation for the OS. i don't know if this is one of the requirements to become "Windows 8 compliant" for manufacturers.

i'm curious: what's the partition layout of a machine preloaded with w8? no recovery partition?