cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Overclocking

Nisal
Level 7
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought and Maximus V Gene and now i'm wondering whether or not to overclock it. I haven't done OCing before and i just need help or advice Ocing my RIG on stable 24/7. my current stock load temp. is 40-45 C and as I'm doing 3D Animation and rendering I'll be running at full load sometimes for 12 to 18 hours.

My RIG:

Intel i7 3770k
MB: Asus Maximus V Gene
PSU: Corsair CX430
HDD: Samsung HD322HJ
VGA: Intel HD 4000
RAM: Corsair Vengeance PC3 -10700H (1600Mhz) 8GB
Cooling: Corsair H80

I'm thinking of just a mild OC of about 4.2-4.4GHz for now till I get a Asus GTX 660Ti because sometimes I'll be playing high-end Games sure as Battlefiled 3.

I also want to know about the correct way to OC and also want to know whether it will affect on the warrenty.
Thanks In Advance.:)
41 REPLIES 41

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
HI there Nisal! 🙂

For a mild OC you can just follow this guide: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5836-ASUS-Rampage-IV-Extreme-Easy-Overclock-Guide&country=&...

It is written for another board but the BIOSes are very similar and the principle just the same

For a more complex guide you can read through this one in the Maximus section: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19186-ASUS-ROG-Maximus-V-Formula-UEFI-OC-Tuning-Guide&count...

Again the board is different but the UEFI BIOS for both boards will be the same in most important aspects.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Read and try things in small steps. Do not just jump in an go for 5GHz your first try. Keen one eye on temps and make notes of your default voltages.

For a OC of 4.4 you would only need to change the multiplier to 44 and press F10. The rest can be on auto and it will OC to 4.4.

Check the temps and voltages applied and then go back into the BIOS and manually set them the same or slightly lower.

Run a short stress test to check temps and if your system falls over.

Repeat if successful with slightly lower voltage again. Keep repeating until your system does freeze or fall over. Then simply go back one or two steps voltage wise and you should be good to go.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks alot for the help guys,

So here's what I'm going to start with. Please correct me if my steps are wrong.
For a start I'm going for 42x
1)go into UEFI extreme tweaker
2)Set "Ai Overclock Tuner" from Auto to Manual
3)By all cores - 42
4)Save and restart 🙂
5) For stress testing I'm going to use 'Cinebench'
Will be using 'real temp' and Ai suite II for temperature monitoring

Here's some questions I really what to ask before I do this

1) I heard that overclocking can also be done in Ai Suite II, if so is it safer than using UEFI?
2) In UFEI should I keep the "Memory frequency" at Auto?
3) What is CPU Speard spectrum - should I keep it on or off (it's currently off)?
4) What are the worst case scenarios I'll be facing when overclocking?
5) I heard that the Vcore - should be kept under 1.300 in ivy-bridge because of temperature issue, so what kind of temps. Should i be looking for when over clocking from stock to 4.2GHz 😄

Thanks again in advance 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please do not install AIsuite unless you desperately want to. And certainly do not have two monitoring applications open at the same time. Use HWmonitor or Coretemp.

1 Do all you overclocking in the BIOS, stay away from AISuite
2 XMP profile in mode of overclocking then the rest as per your plan
3 Do not bother with it now.
4 Your system freezes and you have to reboot.
5 Do not believe all you hear. Let temp be your guide.

I doubt that you will need more than 1.26 for 4.2GHz but no two CPU's are the same so it is impossible to predict what your system will need.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

TenBlade
Level 11
Recommended temperatures would be a matter of debate. Temp.s during stress testing is one thing, but every day use is interesting. I would (justified or not) be sweating bullets if my cpu crossed the 90 C mark on a stress test, temperatures up to 105 C are mentioned "out there" as being within limits, but every CPU is different, hard to say how it would affect degradation of CPU (and thermal paste for that matter).

In everyday use I´d try to stay below 70 C (or am I too worried?!)

How it affects warranty I have no idea. My philosophy is to clock to the limits of my wallet (which at the moment is no clocking at all...).

Ok guys OC it's at 4.2GHz. Pretty stable upto now.:) But the temperatures are betweem 60- 75 when in full load

Changes made in Bios are:-

1)Set "Ai Overclock Tuner" X.M.P
2)Cores to 42
3)CPU Spread spectrum from Auto to Disable

didn't touch the Vcore values
persent vcore value at 100% is 1.248
Also run Battlefield 3 and got a improvement from Low to Medium graphics

Im Still concern about the temperatures. Is it safe to keep running at these values?
Is there anyway to lower it to around 55 C - 65 C?

Menthol
Level 14
IMHO that is good temps at full load. Yes you can lower, either lower clocks or better cooling is the simplest way, you can lower your vcore in very small amounts until it becomes unstable then raise to the lowest it was stable at.

TenBlade
Level 11
Wonder if the new Corsair H100i in push-pull will make a significant difference to the H80 you´re using, 3-5 degr.?! Anyone swapped an H80 to the H100i yet? Otherwise custom water cooling would be it, but the expenses could easily buy you a spare CPU 😉

sectionate
Level 12
Nisal if your running your machine at full load for 12-14 hours your corsair will get heat soaked and temps will increase. If you use cpuids temp program,make sure you get the pro
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com