cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX Adding DVD boot option

gcm_rukawa11
Level 7
Hi,

I have just gotten this Lappy and wanted to do a Arconis backup before I want to do anything to it. But is seems the option to bott from DVD does not exist. I have tried adding the DVD from the boot screen but not sure what to put in for the filesystem. Appreciate if any ROG-ers have an answer for it. Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17

rewben
Level 13
what is the version of your bios? can you find a boot option "Launch CSM" and enable it in your bios? from this thread, it appeared that option allows you to boot from your DVD/usb.

Karrde
Level 10
Btw. Arconis for the very first "before anything" backup? Is the asus AI Recovery tool no longer available?
(Still waiting for my G75VX-CV012H, and such a backup i want/have to create too)

Hi Rewben,

Version 203, I have enabled the CSM but still doesn't have the option to boot from DVD, only anoth option for PXE boot.

@ Karrde,

I plan to downgrade it from win8 to win7, wants to image it out before I kick off anything.

@gcm_rukawa11, uh? old bios in a g75vx?! then can you find the option similar to 'Disable UEFI Boot' in boot options? try to disable UEFI Boot and proceed.

edit: here's what's in the FAQ support page regarding How do I boot to DOS with USB Flash drive or USB CD-ROM?

1. Enter the BIOS setup menu by pressing and holding F2 key when powering on.
2. Switch to "Boot" and set “Launch CSM” to Enabled.
3. Switch to "Security" and set "Secure Boot Control" to Disabled.
4. Press F10 to save and exit.
5. Press and hold ESC key to lunch boot menu when the notebook restarts.

Hi Rewben,

From the global support, the version is the latest, http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G75VX&hashedid=UgUoqhOZ5INGuDIu, for G75VW version is 221.

My bios does not have the option to disable uefi.

rewben
Level 13
from what i know, ai recovery has phased out and the best tool that you can use is the win8 backup and recovery feature (to create a system image from your stock windows). for the record, the new ASUS way for recovery is this (look for "How do I recover my system to factory state in Windows 8?")

rewben
Level 13
i'm sorry about that (was confused by your bios version); try follow my previous post above.

Will check it later, I remember the security have options to lock or unlock the interface, by default it is set to unlock. Tks in advance.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Boot from CD/DVD drive should be labeled based upon the name of the drive:
Hitachi________
Try putting a bootable CD/DVD in the drive and see if it appears in the BIOS then. Sometimes the BIOS will remove options that won't work (say boot from USB with no USB storage plugged in).
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23