cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No GPU downclock on 120hz refresh mode...affects performance?

jorlanm
Level 7
I posted a while back that my GPU is idling at 56 ~ 64 degrees celcius...and I hit around 85 at max load ... nVidia claims the GPU can run at 105 c and still stable, they didnt realy specify the limit when damage starts to happen...in comparison the CPU's limit is at 100 c but I get 34 ~ 41 degrees celcius on idle...

I was going around nVidia's forums and I found that nVidia's drivers dont downclock to 2D mode speed when on 120hz refresh, it stays on 3D mode speed ... and its not a bug or issue...

taking it to 60hz my GPU idles at 45 ~ 52 degrees celsius (same when its running on battery) but you wont be able to use Stereoscopic 3D...

Now Im curious if high refresh rates degrade performance on games?
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii
1 REPLY 1

Chastity
Level 10
You can still force a downclock. At home, my dual GTX285 SLI + 3 monitors forces my main card to idle at full speed, since the nvidia drivers say "it's neccessary". However, in NV Surround, it downclocks just fine. 🙂

I use NVIDIA Inspector to boot to a profile that runs at the lower idle speeds, and nothing goes bonkers on it. I just restore the normal high-speed profile when I want to game.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]