cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Can't connect to this Network"

deeptg
Level 7
Hi,
I bought an Asus G75vw couple days back with windows 8. Everything was working fine except that i couldn't connect to my wireless router. It had a WEP encryption. After I entered the Network Security key, I Kept on getting "Can't connect to this network", troubleshooting didnt help either. Then I updated all drivers from Asus support website and it connected after a restart. I was quite delighted but the next day again i got the "cant connect to this network" message. So I changed my encryption to WPA2-PSK (AES) and even updated the firmware of my router. Still no luck. I have googled around a lot but couldnt find any proper solution.
Please please please help me out with this, Im getting really frustrated 😞
47 REPLIES 47

SUKARA
Level 10
Could you plesae help to use another device connect this WL router?(EX: Tablet pc& Mobile.....) have any probelm?

Im pretty sure the router works fine. My Android phone and my bros Iphone connect to it properly. Even my dads dell inspiron and bros vaio. Those laptops are windows 7 though.

dstrakele
Level 14
What version WiFi driver is reported in use by Device Manager? Most folks reporting WiFi connection issues have resolved them with a more recent Atheros driver than available on the ASUS website.

Deleting your current WiFi network settings in Windows and recreating them by connecting to your Router is something else you can try.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

rewben
Level 13
or, is it a case of insufficient ip address assignment via dhcp?

I think its a problem with Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter (This is what device manager shows i have) . I try updating and it says I already have the latest version. I dunno how long i'll have to wait for an official update that corrects this flaw.
Funny thing is, I go to Device Manager-> Network Adapters -> right click on Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter and select uninstall, it asks me if i want to delete driver files, i click yes. and a red X mark comes on my network icon saying no device found, I restart my system and the stupid Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter is still there!!! I just uninstalled it and it still shows its there! This thing is driving me crazy ! 😞

i have already tried deleting the wifi settings etc, no luck 😞

rewben
Level 13
can you try this one? it's working for me. there is an option that allows you to uninstall the previous version. use it to remove it first, reboot, and then restart the installation.

good luck.

dstrakele
Level 14
When you attempt the installation of the Atheros driver, choose to follow @rewben's advice rather than attempting to install the driver through Device Manager. I also recommend booting into Windows Safe Mode for the installation to disable other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may interfere with your WiFi driver installation.

When you uninstall the driver and restart Windows, it detects the WiFi card and installs its Plug-N-Play driver.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

rewben
Level 13
this is what i got after the installation:

for me it's working; using WPA2-Personal/AES; power management turned off.

edit: for you it should be 216 (windows 8), instead of 209 (windows 7). if this is not working for you, there is another newer version; but that version i haven't test yet.

Windows 8 does not support old WEP encryption... Change your router to WPA2-PSK, and forgot the old network before connecting... Windows 8 doesn't have a 'Manage Wireless Networks' like 7 did, it may be difficult to forget, with the built-in WiFi manager you can only forget a network you're connected to, or possibly all networks like in 7... Click the WiFi icon by the clock, right click your network, and look for 'Forget this network'... If it's not possible to forget it, try changing to a unique SSID, and connecting to that, making Windows 8 have fresh settings for the newly created network...
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi