cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 BIOS 221: can UEFI secure boot be disabled/enabled?

timppu
Level 9
I've tried to search for the answer in this forum but didn't seem to get any conclusive answer.

I noticed that with the newest G75 BIOS 221, there is no option to disable and enable UEFI (secure) boot. Is this option somewhere else, or has he ability to disable it been removed altogether in this newest version?

I hope it is not removed, because I specifically wanted a future-proof PC where I can in the future replace the aging Windows installation with some Linux distro or some other third-party open OS that might or might not require disabling Microsoft's UEFI secure boot lock-in. I hope ASUS have enough sense to retain the option to disable that lock, if the user so wishes.
9 REPLIES 9

rewben
Level 13
@timppu, there is (to be exact, here). the secure boot thing is optional.

edit: well, please keep all related information in one post. that way we could have a clearer picture on what you wanna achieve.

rewben wrote:

Thanks, I actually read the second message/discussion before, but I couldn't really make heads or tails about it. I didn't recall seeing any "Launch CSM" option, but maybe I need to check again.

So do I get it right now that "Launch CSM" + "Secure Boot Control = Disabled" together are the same as the earlier "UEFI boot = Disabled"?

rewben wrote:
edit: well, please keep all related information in one post. that way we could have a clearer picture on what you wanna achieve.

I felt they were two different objectives, that's why I felt it is better to ask them separately, to know to which issue I'm being getting feedback.

That other message was that I want to know how to install Win8 Pro into a GPT disk (is this somehow related to UEFI secure boot too?). I prefer to do this with UEFI secure boot.

This other question was about whether in the distant future I will be able to switch off UEFI secure boot, in order to install any PC OS of my choice (some Linux distro or whatever) to this PC, even if they don't support UEFI secure boot. I just want to make sure that G75 still has, and will have, the option to disable UEFI secure boot. The Linux community seems to be a bit worried that some OEM vendors start offering x86 PCs where there is no such option, effectively blocking development of new alternative OSes for PC.

rewben wrote:

I looked again to G75 BIOS, and frankly I just can't find the options mentioned in those instructions.

The instructions say that I should enable "Launch CSM" (whatever that is) under Boot. But under Boot in BIOS setup, all I can see is:

Boot Configuration
Launch PXE OpROM (Enabled/Disabled)

Driver Option Priorities

Boot Option Priorities
Boot Option #1
Boot Option #2

CD/DVD ROM Drive BBS Priorities
Add New Boot Option
Delete Boot Option

I see nothing related to "CSM" anywhere under Boot.

Also, under Security tab, I don't see anything related to "Secure Boot Control". The only options I see there are:

Administrator Password
User Password
Set Master Password
I/O Interface Security

My BIOS is version 221 from this page:

http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/

=> Download tab => Operating System Windows 7 64bit => BIOS.

Fire
Level 10
When I first installed the new 221 BIOS. The disable UEFI boot was not there. But it is there really, just a diff. method to disable it.

Go to the boot options and make sure to delete the UEFI Boot

Here is how my BIOS boot screen looks after I have deleted it.

Fire wrote:
When I first installed the new 221 BIOS. The disable UEFI boot was not there. But it is there really, just a diff. method to disable it.

Go to the boot options and make sure to delete the UEFI Boot

I don't see any "UEFI Boot" under the boot options (I presume you mean under "Delete Boot Option"?).

So does that mean that currently UEFI secure boot is already disabled on my BIOS? If that is the case, the obvious next question is: how do I enable it back? 🙂

I really wish they would have simply kept the "UEFI boot: Enabled/Disabled" option, at least that was quite clear.

rewben
Level 13
it's a weird case. maybe the users that have a g75vw with bios 221 can help clear things up a bit 😕

edit: have you gone into the "I/O Interface Security" to have a look?

Pitcher1
Level 9
hi, if your OS (WIn7 preload, WIn7 update to WIn8) have not this item, but WIn8 preload have it.

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
hi, if your OS (WIn7 preload, WIn7 update to WIn8) have not this item, but WIn8 preload have it.

Hi, was the reply to me? Does "this item" refer to UEFI secure boot, ie. it is not present in this model of G75VW?

Ok then, but frankly I do remember seeing some item related to UEFI (something like: UEFI boot enable/disable) in the original (207) BIOS that was on this machine originally, but it disappeared when I upgraded the BIOS to 221.

Anyway, if this model is not supposed to have UEFI secure boot but the old kind of non-UEFI BIOS, I guess that's that then. At least I'll be able to install Linux on this too then without any problems.

I sent a query about this also to ASUS support yesterday or two days ago, but I haven't received any feedback yet.

rewben
Level 13
sweet; thanks, Mike 🙂