cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Controller not Recognized

jlindstr
Level 7
It's been several days of replacing motherboards (Maximus IV Extreme), etc. without any success.

I've tried unsuccessfully for the last 24 hours to get a clean installation of WSE. The installation process fails because it cannot establish a network connection.

This is a completely new DIY system with the following components:
•ASUS Maximus V Extreme Motherboard, BIOS 1402 (or most current)
•32GB RAM
•750GB Primary HD (SATA)
•3 x 3TB Secondary HDs (SATA)
•1 DVD-RW
•1200W Power Supply

I've downloaded the current drivers (chipset, BIOS, LAN) from ASUS and Intel.

Oddly enough, the light actually illuminated when the Ethernet cable is connected to the computer, but Device Manager doesn't recognize the on-board Ethernet Controller.

Also not clear of any solutions are available.

At this point, I just need to get the driver issue resolved so I'm able to finish the Windows Server 2012 Essentials installation.

Oh and yes, power cord and Ethernet cables are in good working order.
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
Did the controller work before, did you have an opportunity to use it before?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

All components are new, so this is a first time to validate working order.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Have you checked BIOS to make sure the NIC is enabled? - if yes, what Windows version drivers are you trying to install?

Raja
Level 13
jlindstr wrote:
It's been several days of replacing motherboards (Maximus IV Extreme), etc. without any success.

I've tried unsuccessfully for the last 24 hours to get a clean installation of WSE. The installation process fails because it cannot establish a network connection.

This is a completely new DIY system with the following components:
•ASUS Maximus V Extreme Motherboard, BIOS 1402 (or most current)
•32GB RAM
•750GB Primary HD (SATA)
•3 x 3TB Secondary HDs (SATA)
•1 DVD-RW
•1200W Power Supply

I've downloaded the current drivers (chipset, BIOS, LAN) from ASUS and Intel.

Oddly enough, the light actually illuminated when the Ethernet cable is connected to the computer, but Device Manager doesn't recognize the on-board Ethernet Controller.

Also not clear of any solutions are available.

At this point, I just need to get the driver issue resolved so I'm able to finish the Windows Server 2012 Essentials installation.

Oh and yes, power cord and Ethernet cables are in good working order.

I think you may have an issue here with Server 2012 support of the NIC.

Do you have a copy of Win 7 you can use as a quick test? You'll need to use the Win 7 NIC driver as there are no embedded Intel NIC drivers in Win 7. At least you'll know if the NIC is working or not.

Intel have also rolled out a patch for the 82579VLAN centred primarily around Win 8. That hints at possible issues on the newer OSes...:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22026

-Raja