cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on my first ROG build(actually first build)

iceballfunela
Level 8
Hi guys(unless there are ROG girls), i would like you all to check on the specs of my build and see if there are anything to be changed and i still have a little bit of spare money from my total budget so if there are anything you all think i should change please tell me and if it is about changing my CPU cooler to the corsair h100i, i cant sadly 😞 as it is still not available in my country but i dont think i will need it as i will not go oc my cpu to uber frequencies(roughly 4.2 to 4.5GHz).

Palit GTX680 Jetstream 2GB GDDR5 PCIE 3.0(i know i should go for the ASUS one but in Singapore,palit is so much cheaper by double digits so i rather save a couple of bucks and go for palit!)

Intel Core i5-3570K Processor (3.4GHz/6m Cache) BX80637I53570KSR0PM(just gaming so no point going i7 and 2011)
Cooler Master Seidon 120M Water Cooling RL-S12M-24PK-R1(good reviews online and it is quite cheap and i can find the corsair h80 anywhere! so angry!)

Asustek Maximus V Formula LGA 1155 Motherboard(one graphics card so i do not want to go maximus v extreme)

Corsair PC3-12800 Vengeance 8GB Kit Red C9 (4Gx2) CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R( i do not care about memory speeds as they do not make much of a difference and i like(maybe LOVE) the heat spreader and is very cheap)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 6Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive 7200rpm 64MB Cache ST1000DM003( just a hard drive, nothing much to say)

Crucial M4 256GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2(i need some opinions on whether 256gb is too much or just nice for an ssd to just put OS,steam, origin and some games that i think are worthy to put on it)

NZXT SWITCH 810 Midi Tower Chassis (Black) (i am in love with this case and i am not going to change it)

HP DVD-1260i 24X SATA Multiformat DVD Writer( meh....)

Corsair AX-850W Modular Gold Power Supply ( is this too much? dont think i will go SLI or crossfire in the future. if it is too much can someone recommend me another PSU with long cables.)

Microsoft Windows 8 64Bit DVD - OEM [WN7-00403](again-meh.)

NZXT HUE RGB LED Controller(must light up interior or the computer will look disgusting)

Cooler Master R4-L4S-10AB-GP Blue LED silent fan 140mm x3( someone please tell of some other case fans, does not need to be LED lit)

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams( must get ready for future CPU cooler installations!)
35 REPLIES 35

Tenshi
Level 7
Hi,
Well about corsair H100i, you could buy that on amazon; it's cheaper. Shipping cost is the problem for you, i guess =/ . (i have to import, too, so i understand); but maybe there's a local amazon in your country so, check them out.
The Gpu, well.. i don't know that brand, so i can't tell you if its good or bad.
256mb is not to much for the ssd.
Corsair AX-850w, it's awesome 🙂 i have one. But maybe you want to check out the new version; i don't know if they're selling at the same price.
I think overall is good; but Win8? As a personal opinion i would not recommended; but it's just me.

Krindor
Level 11
That's a great build, the only thing I would say is in need of change is the ram amount. Go for a 2x8gb kit instead. This will both give future proofing as well as if you are ever going to video edit it will be used.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

iceballfunela
Level 8
oh ya! i forgot about amazon! i have an account! and i just need 8 gb, but maybe i will get 16gb.

Hartacus
Level 10
Take it from me. I just completed my first build and made a big error. When I was designing my build and I asked a lot of people on other forums for advice I was told that my Rampage III Gene would be fine and great for my capabilities. Then once I started building and learning about overclocking (thanks to this forum) I started to grow a hatred for my motherboard that I have never felt for anything in this world before. I know it's pretty deep.

I started with a Corsair H60 and was petrified of water in a case. 2 months later I'm building a complete cooling system from scratch and cooling my CPU, RAM, and GPU. I never thought in a million years I'd be ripping apart a $450 video card to water cool it.

Point being I would go for the extreme or even a 2011 socket. When your next project of tweaking the computer starts, you might gain a hunger and realize that you have made a very dumb decision by not trying to foresee your future capabilities and wants. I know because I am one of those dummies.

Hartacus wrote:
Take it from me. I just completed my first build and made a big error. When I was designing my build and I asked a lot of people on other forums for advice I was told that my Rampage III Gene would be fine and great for my capabilities. Then once I started building and learning about overclocking (thanks to this forum) I started to grow a hatred for my motherboard that I have never felt for anything in this world before. I know it's pretty deep.

I started with a Corsair H60 and was petrified of water in a case. 2 months later I'm building a complete cooling system from scratch and cooling my CPU, RAM, and GPU. I never thought in a million years I'd be ripping apart a $450 video card to water cool it.

Point being I would go for the extreme or even a 2011 socket. When your next project of tweaking the computer starts, you might gain a hunger and realize that you have made a very dumb decision by not trying to foresee your future capabilities and wants. I know because I am one of those dummies.

The formula is almost better than the extreme when it comes to custom loops as it has an inbuilt NB block, and as he is building a gaming pc the formula would be better. The extreme is only a great choice when you're going for below zero cooling or if you're going 4 sli/crossfire.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Krindor wrote:
The formula is almost better than the extreme when it comes to custom loops as it has an inbuilt NB block, and as he is building a gaming pc the formula would be better. The extreme is only a great choice when you're going for below zero cooling or if you're going 4 sli/crossfire.

He's got it right.

Also you're needs back then to what you like or want to do now with your computer, doesn't mean it'll apply to him too nor does it mean he has the money to do so. In the end you're only the one to blame for either listening to random people on the interwebs, instead of making your own decisions based on solid reviews and check on forums for bad product support or complaints.

Now from what I can see, he's a budget gamer and he's willing to sacrifice some CPU power, and other nick nacks here and there to get himself a GTX680. That's pretty much on the ball, we've all been there if you don't have the money to ball out on kille rig. I remember building my first real gaming system an AMD Athlon Thunderbird system 1.4GHz with a GeForce 3 Ti500. I sacrificed a lot to buy that GeForce 3 Ti500.

Going back, he's a got a pretty good system for the type of budget he's setting himself with. The only thing I recommend is to go to 16GB of memory mainly because memory is cheap, and having more memory is always good, especially when 16GB isn't really a lot of money. Also, I would look into Arctic Cooling MX-4 thermalpaste over Arctic Silver 5 just a suggestion, their priced around the same too.

ok then, i will get 16gb of memory.

iceballfunela
Level 8
Hey guys again, i read all of the post you all have been making and I want to ask if I should go socket 2011. It is a very tough choice and I will definitely not do any video editing or something like that as I just need a computer for gaming and one that looks really good. I am currently using a laptop with crappy hd 3000(I know guys and I am really struggling with that graphics but that is not the point. What I wanted to say is that I don't think I need 256gb of ssd and I can just get another ssd in the future and I think I will just get 128gb.

Next, I think I will get the nzxt phantom 410 case as I will not get custom watercooling in the future. Also I think I will get the 670 and oc it. And also after so many post of people recommending win 7 over win8, I will get win 7. I will also get the tx line of PSU from corsair.

TenBlade
Level 11
Palit/Gainward is a good brand, perhaps look for a Golden Sample, got one myself, it´s selected for being OC friendly.

Win 7 on a 128 GB ssd could be a tight squeeze, unless you can get every program installed on another drive, and please let me know how. There are a handfull of programs that don´t seem to offer custom selection of destination drive.

Remember to store thermal paste in the fridge if you count on having it lying around a while. If you get the H100i, it comes with pre-applied thermal compound, I haven´t heard anything bad about that.

I´d stay with that psu, it´s solid, and it never hurts to have a little more power than needed.

And stay with the MVF...(I´m not going to comment further on that 😉 )

Enjoy building!