cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very High Temps with 3770k on custom water loop

CRYOG3NIC
Level 7
I am experiences extremely high temps 95c using a stock 3770k under a custom water cooled loop. Stress testing with prime 95. Max core at 95c others at 88 to 90.

The loop flow is as follows:
ek 240 res - ek 3.2 mcp 35x pump - hydro copper gtx 680 gpu - ek120 rad - mosfet - cpu - black ice stealth gt 360 rad - res

Fans are the corsair AF120s in a push config.

ek supremacy block

All nicely tucked in a corsair 800d I do have pics if anyone needs to look at the setup.
Project: Black Widow / Chassis: Corsair 800D / CPU: Intel Core I7 3770k - 4.8ghz @ 1.36v / Mem: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1866 / HD: Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb, 1TB WD BLACK / GPU: EVGA 680 GTX Classified 4gb - Hydro Copper Water Block and Back Plate / PSU: Corsair AX850 / Monitor: HP 2440W IPS Panel / Cooling: Custom water loop
45 REPLIES 45

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey CRYOG3NIC.

Nice one for the new thread:)

A question also re. voltage. What voltage is the CPU getting at stock. Temps without voltage don't mean much

A pic is always useful so we can see how much tubing/what sort of fittings etc. Those temps are high! But seeing your full loop I can't help but wonder if that is a lot of restriction for a smalish pump and so temps were never going to be great. Flow rate is important in that a good flow rate will mean you can pretty much forget order in your loop and still get good temps. Every item in the loop ads restriction and if you have any 90 degree fittings thise will add more which will mean your temperatures will rise across blocks much more. As the other guys have suggested your Blackice RAD will also need some fans that not only have a high CFM value but a high static pressure to go with it.

Having said that those temps are high enough to make me wonder if you have good contact between CPU and block? the inlet and outlet on the block mixed up or some partial blockage in the loop. Do you have clear tubing can you see flow by way of bubbles etc in the loop?

Alright well I think I may have just solved it looking at a picture i had taken and referencing the user manual for the block and sure enough the inlet and outlets are reversed.... So rookie mistake I will be doing a tedious drain and swapping those and will post results when I have them... I appreciate it man. First build with water cooling and I'm learning a lot. Mostly what not to do, haha
Project: Black Widow / Chassis: Corsair 800D / CPU: Intel Core I7 3770k - 4.8ghz @ 1.36v / Mem: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1866 / HD: Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb, 1TB WD BLACK / GPU: EVGA 680 GTX Classified 4gb - Hydro Copper Water Block and Back Plate / PSU: Corsair AX850 / Monitor: HP 2440W IPS Panel / Cooling: Custom water loop

CRYOG3NIC wrote:
I'm learning a lot. Mostly what not to do, haha

Hahaha.....none of us are strangers to that way of learning!:o let us know how much difference it makes...

two quick pictures for reference

two quick pictures for reference

Alright good news, drained it, redid the loop to have the 360 rad in front of the cpu, switch in port with out port, ran my 5 hour leak test, booted up, went into bios, the vcore was set to 1.45 even though i had reset to optimized defaults "could also have been the problem" cleared cmos, booted back up and ran prime, hottest core was 51c.... Thanks Arne

CRYOG3NIC wrote:
"could also have been the problem" cleared cmos, booted back up and ran prime, hottest core was 51c...

Yeah! that's more like it! Good stuff! That's a nice looking (and now working) rig you have there!

DerStig I totally understand the D5's are nice pumps, i figured with my setup and only having one GPU in the loop that the mcp 35x would do the trick, now Arne I did some overclocking last night and reached a stable 4.8ghz on the 3770k with a 1.375 vcore and a 1.7 PLL, might try to lower vcore and raise PLL slightly tonight after work, but so far so good, ran prime for 3 hours, hottest core was 77c. I will note the fans with a higher static pressure could lower the temps even more which would allow me to hit 5ghz keeping the temps below 80c. I won't know till I recieve them in the mail. But for now all seems good.

A couple more quick questions - as you can see from my picture the fluid levels in the res are slightly low, does the hurt or not effect temp or flow?
- Also with this particular motherboard, i updated the bios to the latest and ever since I did that when i restart the computer or boot up from being powered off it will automatically load into the bios everytime, even when I set the first boot priority to my ssd windows drive. So I don't know if there is a setting or if I have a faulty bios?

DerStig
Level 7
The pump is incredibly important in these loops. I have my loop in this order - Pump -> GPU -> MOBO -> CPU -> Rad -> Res. As you can see, my CPU is the last thing and it gets all the warm water. But because I use a EK-D5 dual pump, it doesn't matter which order I put my components in (before it was completely opposite and CPU was first), the temps don't change. I think the most important investment to make when building a water cooled PC is to get a good pump.