Hi all!

This is my first thread here and I just upgraded parts of my hardware:
Asus Maximus v Formula
H60 (2013 version)
i7-3770k
Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 8GB
Samsung SSD

So here is my problem and i hope someone can help 🙂 :

I have a maximus v formula and a (2013) Corsair H60 cooler and I am having some problems with them (recently got these).

The first is that when I set the XMP profile in the BIOS so that the memory (dominator platinum 1866) runs at the specified speed it forces the voltage on the CPU to be ridiculously high. At idle the voltage on the CPU is 1.2~v and when it goes to load it then DROPS to 1.7~v. WTF is happening lol, I swear it is meant to idle with a lower voltage around 1.0~v and then ramp up when under load. Can someone please help me with this?
I want to keep the CPU (for now) at stock speeds with turbo boost (effective 3.9GHz) and have voltage etc low when idle and at the amount it needs to be (no more) when at full load. Right now like I said it idles at 1.22v and then voltage decreases when under load whilst also having the memory at 1866. When I tried to just change the memory frequency in BIOS to 1866 without xmp enabled the system crashed and wouldnt boot.

The next issue is the H60. I know its no amazing cooler, but from the temperatures I am getting I am thinking something is wrong. At idle I am getting around 30-35C and then under load it is going to 70C. Now this is without overclocking the CPU at all. And I have looked at reviews on sites for the h60 cooler (http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h60_2013_review,8.html Guru which is reputable) and they are getting temps at stock of under load 50~C. What the hell is wrong with my one lol. I swear the temps are too high because when I did a simple overclock to 4.4GHz the temps were going over 80C. I thought something was wrong with the thermal paste on the CPU so I re-applied it to no avail.

SHope someone can help please! lol
thanks!
43 REPLIES 43

HiVizMan
Level 40
First thing I would do is clear my CMOS and see what your temps and voltages are like without XMP profile enabled. If your temps are still high and your voltages are within the norm, lower when on idle then your cooler mount is needing attention, or the pump and fan connections need looking at.

Once you have that sorted out then we deal with the XMP profile. As I suspect that will be an easy fix.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
First thing I would do is clear my CMOS and see what your temps and voltages are like without XMP profile enabled. If your temps are still high and your voltages are within the norm, lower when on idle then your cooler mount is needing attention, or the pump and fan connections need looking at.

Once you have that sorted out then we deal with the XMP profile. As I suspect that will be an easy fix.

Thanks HiVizMan. I just cleared the CMOS and I just booted prime, aida and hardware monitor.
Everything is at stock.

My temps were with 1 minute
Core0 66C
Core1 69C
Core2 71C
Core3 62C
Which is still really hot!

So I guess first thing to sort out is the cooler. Like I said i mounted it twice again and am using MX-4 thermal paste.
I am using SP120 quiet edition fans in push pull.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Two things spring to mind.

First the amount of thermal paste you use should be no bigger than a grain of rice. That is all you need, the stuff is meant to fill in the microscopic gaps in the surface of the materials not act like peanut butter on bread. 😄

Second thing is your fans, what I did once was have them pointing towards each other. Sort of did not work. Both fans need to be blowing the air in the same direction as I found out, big difference of about 20'C once I got that sorted.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Two things spring to mind.

First the amount of thermal paste you use should be no bigger than a grain of rice. That is all you need, the stuff is meant to fill in the microscopic gaps in the surface of the materials not act like peanut butter on bread. 😄

Second thing is your fans, what I did once was have them pointing towards each other. Sort of did not work. Both fans need to be blowing the air in the same direction as I found out, big difference of about 20'C once I got that sorted.

So when I reapplied the thermal paste I first looked on the internet and in fact I applied thermal paste in the size of a grain of rice. As temperatures didnt decreace I then applied and re did it again a little smaller to no avail

I have both fans pushing air outside of the case out the back and I have fresh air coming in through a fan filter which directly flows to the raidiator.

So I have tried to do it right and still been getting these awful temperatures. I do have an artic freezer v2 CPU cooler which I am thinking of trying to compare, but tbh I dont see the point in that. I am sure the H60 shouldnt have these high temperatures at clock speeds.

Are you able to suggest anything else? Should I video me installing the H60 so you can see if I am doing it right for example?
I dunno, I just bought this stuff, I bought a water cooler, a K CPU and I cant even overclock it cos my temps are so high at stock lol

Thanks for the fast responces btw

Chino
Level 15

HiVizMan
Level 40
http://www.corsair.com/en/content/tabs/videoplayer/id/71

Still think the fans are possibly the problem. Take one fan off and see what your temps are.

flyingeagle666
Level 7
I am uploading youtube video! Here is comes. Firstly lighting is ****, my video editing is.... there is none lol. I sped it up x2

ok I was uploading my video but then my system shut down and it notified me on start up i had a power surge from power supply.....

Why is all going wrong lol???

Ok I am reuploading and will post a video

HiVizMan, I put the fan how it is showed in the video and still temps are similar to they were before, its reaching 70C on stock settings!

flyingeagle666
Level 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpGextKllNQ&feature=youtu.be

Here we go, let me know what you guys suggest

Chino
Level 15
I feel like in CSI examining a crime scene lol.

I see you having a push & pull configuration. I'm not doubting your installation but just so we can discard the possibility of a wrong mount. Turn your PC on, then grab a tissue or paper and put it near the fans. The fan in the case should suck the paper. And the fan in the rear should push the paper away from the case. If this isn't the problem, proceed to next step.

Download RealTemp and Core Temp. Open RT, CT & HWMonitor and leave it on a for 5 minutes so that the system "idles". Take a screenshot and post it here. Then with those 3 programs still opened, run Prime95 for 5 minutes. Then take another screenshot and post it here. Make sure the whole HWMonitor window is viewable. We need to see all the readings. 🙂

Just to test a theory.