cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up my memory

kevc
Level 7
Hi guys i have finished building my first self build and need help to set up my ram here's a list of whats in it
Cpu-I5 3570K running on stock speed
Motherboard-Maximus v Formula
Memory- Series: Viper 3
Edition: Black Mamba
Capacity: 8GB (2 x 4GB) kit
DIMM Type: 240-Pin NON-ECC UDIMM
Voltage: 1.5V
Tested Frequency: PC3-17000 (2133MHz)
Tested Timings: 11-11-11-27
Base Frequency: PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
Base Timings: 9-9-9-24
Tested Platforms: Intel® 6 & 7 Series
Feature Overclock: XMP 1.3

Bios version-1408 downloaded from this site and flashed when installing componet's
OS-win 7 home premium

When checking CPU-z it only shows the memory running @ 804.2mhz, is there any way i can get it running @ 2133 or close?

I need any info in laymens term's as i don't have a clue when it comes to all the tech talk like on other threads i've seen about anything to do with ram

Whats the best way to stress /test the ram once it's tweaked?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks Kev
29 REPLIES 29

HiVizMan
Level 40
hey Kev good to see you are nearly up and running.

Ok mate get into BIOS and where you see the overclocking mode select XMP

F10 to save and then enter to reboot.

Open CPUz and tell me what you see 🙂

As to stress test for your memory. See guide in sig for memtest86+ 😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kevc
Level 7
Hi mate the rig is up and running and no other issue's 🙂 ok will do,i've downloaded the memteast to a usb stick. What would i need to do if i run into any trouble whilst doing this i.e not rebooting, bsod and so on

Thanks Kev

kevc
Level 7
Hi guy's not sure how to word whats happening with my ram but here goes, when i check my ram with CPU-Z it shows only just over 800mhz i then entered the bios and changed to XMP and ran profile one as profile two won't even let my pc boot up. I then checked it with CPU-Z again and it showed 1066mhz.

I then tested the ram with Memtest86+ the screen showed it was running @ 1066mhz but it showed a error on test 5(00095eaa218) the test finished and no more error's showed.

I then swapped out the memory with some old ram i had from my last rig (Corsair XMS3 DDR3 CMX4GX3M1A1600C9 ) X2 it also showed 800mhz on CPU-Z, i then went in and turned on XMP and profile one, and when i went to test it with Memtest86+ it only showed it running @ 800mhz so i aborted the test as there was no point in carrying out the test anymore.

So thats two different set's of ram and both only seem to be able to only run @ 8oomhz has anybody any idea what i could do next?

Thanks Kev

HiVizMan
Level 40
Double the value to get the actual RAM frequency. So 800 will be a system running at 1600MHz. And the same for your other ram. Double that and you have 2133MHz. 🙂

Enable the XMP profile and enjoy your system. I do not think you have anything to worry about.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

TenBlade
Level 11
You have to double up the frequency listed by CPU-Z. RAM listed with 1600 MHz freq., the actual frequency, in this case 800. So, carry on.

kevc
Level 7
Ok thanks mate the penny just dropped there lol about doubling the mhz i'am a bit slow when it come's to all this, shocked the **** out of myself when i managed to build the bloody thing lol

but what about the error when it was doing the Memtest while it was running @ 1066mhz? will that cause any issues when its running normally ?

Thanks kev

kevc
Level 7
I cant seem to get the ram to pass test 5 on Memtest whilst running @ 2133 and using XMP and profile one any ideas?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Test 5 is normally all about voltage, but with the newer IC that are used in the sticks can be a bit misleading. VCCSA/IO Voltage up a notch or two might just help you get over this bump.

kevc
Level 7
Thanks mate i googled it and it was recommended to set it about1.10v~1.20v max, i set VCCSA to 1.10 and just completed two full test's on Memtest and it passed with flying colours, will i also need to set the IO volts aswell ?: because after playing black ops 2 for 10 min it bsod. Or do i need to increase the volts further?

Many thanks for all your help it has been much appreciated

Thanks kev