cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Extreme freezing

niggz
Level 7
Hey Guys

So I bought a new rig and it keeps freezing and locking up it does it randomly it happens when I am just browsing or listening to music. I can only use my PC for a couple of hours most before it freezes up. 😞

I have re-installed windows 7 and also updated to the latest drivers and bios.
Ran Memtest86 and was fine.
I have also noticed the mouse seems to stutter and freeze aswell its a Logitech G9 mouse that is fine i have tested on another PC and got the drivers for that aswell just in case.

Now I started looking at the QVL and my RAM isn't on there. Could this be the cause for the locking up? or not.. i just dont know what else to try.

When it freezes the only way to fix it is by holding the power button in and shut it down.

PC is OC'd at all.

Any help would be much appreciated it's doing my head in.

Thanks

GPU: Powercolor AMD 6990
CPU: i7 2600K
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 RAM - 8-8-8-24 - Vengeance Series (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8)
PSU: 1000W Corsair
MOBO: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Motherboard
13 REPLIES 13

Cody_Irwin
Level 10
I would check and see if its ur harddrive first.

xeromist
You may want to check the Windows event viewer to see if anything coincides with the freezes. The stuttering would point to something other than memory and your memtest coming back OK says likewise. It could be an unstable program so I would make sure to disable as much as possible from running in the background.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

niggz
Level 7
yeah i tested my hard drives they were fine as well.

i use the virus software BitDefender im going to uninstall that when I get home and test that.

So you dont think it would be the RAM then .. hmm that sucks

Retired
Not applicable
niggz wrote:
yeah i tested my hard drives they were fine as well.

i use the virus software BitDefender im going to uninstall that when I get home and test that.

So you dont think it would be the RAM then .. hmm that sucks

Let me guess you have a SSD drive..

Kipper
Level 10
I had the same problem using a newer SATA III 6G SSD; removed it and put in a Corsair F120 SATA II SSD and the problem was solved. OCZ, Corsair and others are having problems with the SandForce controller on the new drives. Corsair is doing a total recall on theirs right now and I just did an RMA to OWC on two of their new drives.

nah i dont have a SSD just normal SATA HDD.

so i uninstalled my virus software and still after a while it locked up my PC so it's not that causing the problem.

Im gonna try swap the RAM to one on the QVL if that doesnt work i might install windows on one of the other HDD's

after that if its still not working i dont know what else to try 😞 new PC and doesnt even work pisses me off. :mad:

Raja
Level 13
Hi,

Sorry about the issues. Can you try enabling the "hot plug" setting in BIOS on the SATA port that your HDD is connected to. Also, what BIOS version are you running and do you have the Intel RST drivers installed?

-Raja

so i have 4 HDD's in my PC should I enable hot plug on all 3 or just the one with the OS installed on it?

BIOS version is running the latest one from the asus website.

And if the Intel RST drivers are on the ASUS driver download page for this motherboard then yes i have installed them aswell.

niggz wrote:
so i have 4 HDD's in my PC should I enable hot plug on all 3 or just the one with the OS installed on it?

BIOS version is running the latest one from the asus website.

And if the Intel RST drivers are on the ASUS driver download page for this motherboard then yes i have installed them aswell.

Ok you can enable "hot" plug on all the drives if you wish. But first try this; If you are not running RAID then please roll back the IRST driver to the native MS AHCI driver.

-Raja