cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install problems with Crosshair V Formula-Z Drivers - need help!

pixelman
Level 7
I need help in clearing up some driver issues. I am trying to update my MB drivers to hopefully fix some instability issues. Well, after a number of discussions with Asus Tech Support yesterday I was told to download and install the recent BIOS (1101) and the drivers for SATA, Chipset, LAN, and Audio. The installation of the BIOS and Audio went smoothly. Below are the problems and questions that I could really use help on:

1) LAN Driver: ASUS showed an older version of the Intel LAN driver than what was already in my system, They show 17.3.0.0 and what is installed in my system is 17.4.95.0. Could this be the reason I am experiencing slow internet speeds? Show I download and install the driver from ASUS and remove the current one?

2) SATA driver: I asked the Tech at ASUS out of the list what I should be installing since I am not using a RAID configuration? He said to install the one for AHCI, the third one down on the list, AMD_AHCI_V121329_V33154026_4029_XPVistaWin7.zip. So I downloaded it and attempted to install it. When I do a popup says "Make RAID\AHCI Driver Disk" and wants me to pick a destination which is empty. I am confused as to what to do since I am not trying to create a raid but simply update my Sata drivers for my mother board. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to get the correct driver installed? I did install teh Asmedia Sata drivers instead but was that the wrong choice and that may be causing me instability issues with my drives?

3) CHIPSET: The Tech told me to install version 8.973&9.01. When I download it, which takes forever, and attempt to unzip it I keep getting the message for a number of files being extracted "Error: The system cannot find the path specified. Cannot create H:\Original Program Source Files\ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Support Files\Drivers motherboard\Chipset\AMD_Chipset_XP...\[FILENAME". For example, file USBFilter.sys. I have tried downloading it at least 4 times with the same results. Any suggestions?

I apologize for the lengthy content and hope what I attemped to explain is not too confusing. Thanks in advance for your help.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Hard Drives: Seagate 7200 RPM 500 Barracuda plus 4 other data drives
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 640 2048MB GDDR3 Dual DVI, mHDMI Graphics Card 02G-P4-2643-KR
Case: Antec Sonata IV - ATX Mid Tower Case
CPU Cooleer: Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler System
Pixelman

MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z (CPU: AM3+ Chipset AMD 990FX/SB950)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 640 2048MB GDDR3 Dual DVI, mHDMI Graphics Card 02G-P4-2643-KR
5 REPLIES 5

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Hey there, no worries about the length of your post. The more detail you can give, honestly - the better 🙂

1)Go to the Intel website and download the latest drivers for your NIC from there. ASUS like other manufacturer's updates are slow, because they go through lengthy testing phases to make sure the drivers work.

2) Don't bother with the AMD AHCI drivers, in most respects, the MS provided drivers are better than the AMD ones and a lot of the AMD users here can verify and back me up on this one.

3) Go to the AMD website and download the latest Catalyst drivers, true these are VGA drivers, but they also include chipset updates too.

Good luck and let us know how you go 🙂

Thanks very much for your response. I searched google for the Catalyst drivers and it led me to the AMD download site. Then I ran into trouble with each searh failing to find any matches to the searh I entered. I didn't know what graphic card to select since I am using an EVGA. For example, one that failed is where I picked "Product Type" as "Chipset/Motherboard" and for "Product" the choice "AMD 990FX/990X/970 - SB950 Chipset" and it returned that nothing was found. Could I impose upon you and ask a favor if you could be more specific on what I should choose, or provide a URL to the download section if you have time? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Pixelman

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
No worries and you need to select the 990FX - SB 950 Chipset. Don't worry about your using the GTX card, i've installed the Catalyst drivers a few times...while using a GTX 560 lol and haven't had any problems. Try using these Chipset Drivers first http://www2.ati.com/drivers/12-10_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb.exe

pixelman
Level 7
Thanks much for all your help. I downloaded and installed the drivers and everything went smoothly. Have a great evening and thanks again.
Pixelman

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
No worries mate you're very welcome. Have a great night yourself 🙂