cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wake On Lan - Maximus IV Extreme

Retired
Not applicable
Does anyone know how to activate Wake on LAN on this board?
4 REPLIES 4

Retired
Not applicable
in the bios turn it on, with some boards its a toggle on the board

Retired
Not applicable
Unfortunately, its not a physical switch and I can't find it anywhere in the BIOS.

Retired
Not applicable
I will check my board and let you know

Wake on LAN - Maximus IV Extreme - Verified Solution

During the setup of my Maximus IV Extreme the question arose on how I enable WOL or WOW (Wake on WAN). After reading the forums and not finding an answer, I tinkered and was able to have this function work 100% of the time. Here is what is listed in the Manageability section of the spec sheet.

WfM 2.0,DMI 2.0,WOL by PME,WOR by PME,PXE

After reading this, you could assume PME(PCI or PCI/E Boot Functions) is the only way to have it work. PXE is for booting a configuration off of a Network.

In the BIOS, you have some Wake up Options. They are under Advanced>APM> but none seem to make sense. If you’re like me, and you’re using the Onboard Ethernet, it doesn’t make sense to Enable Power On by PCIE. That is what you have to do. The reason is that the Onboard Ethernet Controllers are on the PCI bus. Enabling that turns on PME functionality across that PCI bus.

The next thing is to enable the Ethernet Controller or the Ethernet Controller Team for this functionality. This is in Device Manager>Properties(of the Controllers/the Controller Team obviously)>Power Management. You will need to check Wake on Magic Packet, Wake on Magic Packet in Power off State. If you have teamed, you just need to enable the Active controller. I did both because of my well documented OCD.

I believe this to be necessary but I am not sure. I always create a Windows Firewall Rule to allow UDP traffic on the WOL I have choosen for my wake up task. UDP is a packet that essentially functions in a ‘Power Off’ state and the Magic Packet is transmitted using that Protocol. There are many walkthroughs on line for creating rules…
Lastly, if you have a router you will have to do more configurations. Port Forward Rules, sometimes Broadcast Address configurations, etc., but so long as the packet gets to either of the onboard controllers, the machine will awaken anywhere in the world. I can even turn it on with my cell phone.