cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely quiet microphone ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE

georgeee
Level 7
Hello guys,

I bought this amazing motherboard but there's either an issue with my microphone, or the motherboard.

Here's the thing - when I put my mic directly in front of my mouth (talking like half an inch), it fills up the microphone bar to the top. The moment I move just a little bit away suddenly no one can hear me and the mic bar in the control panel doesn't even get one green line.

Literally I need to put it almost in my mouth, any other way I'm soundless.

Does anyone know what might be the issue? I have installed the latest drivers from realtek + the Creative ones. And the only way people can normally hear me is when I boost my microphone +20DB more..

Does anyone know what might be the cause of this?
14 REPLIES 14

SUKARA
Level 10
Where are you using the mic interface? Front or back I/O?

It happens in both of them - rear and front.

kkn
Level 14
try and uninstal the creative software and see if that works? ( just guessing here realy )
what program are you useing to talk on? teamspeak, skype, msn+++???

georgeee
Level 7
I've tried everything. I've uninstalled and installed numerous times, it doesn't work. I'm using Skype. It's weird, might be the microphone, but on the other hand I didn't have problems with it on my old configuration.

kkn
Level 14
well if you have a friend that have a headset ( or some thing ) that you can try, if that dont work i have no clue.
mabye next option is RMA.

Serial77
Level 7
I have exactly the same problem on my Hero board. People seem to be confusing the error with the typical problems of a muted mic, boost not enabled, etc... and end up concluding that the problem is in the mic itself. Well, it's not. My mic works fine on my laptop and on my wife's desktop.

All this fuzz about such a great Audio device on-board and the drivers are the messiest thing I've seen in years, hard to believe this is actually shipped like this. Also something tells me devs themselves have issues as I noticed in this video: youtube.com/watch?v=mLc_hGbqOt4

So what's the deal here? Disable in bios and install old Sound Blaster?

Serial77 wrote:
I have exactly the same problem on my Hero board. People seem to be confusing the error with the typical problems of a muted mic, boost not enabled, etc... and end up concluding that the problem is in the mic itself. Well, it's not. My mic works fine on my laptop and on my wife's desktop.

All this fuzz about such a great Audio device on-board and the drivers are the messiest thing I've seen in years, hard to believe this is actually shipped like this. Also something tells me devs themselves have issues as I noticed in this video: youtube.com/watch?v=mLc_hGbqOt4

So what's the deal here? Disable in bios and install old Sound Blaster?

I too have the same problem on my Maximus VI Hero.
Completely fresh install of Windows 7.
Microphone is so quiet it's inaudible unless sound source is very close to the mic (<1 inch) or very loud.
I can turn it up with boost but the static is louder than the voice.

Tried backpanel and front panel using HD and AC97.

Same mic worked fine on previous build which was a P5N32E-SLI

NikosG
Level 7
bump

xCaptKirk
Level 7
I have the same issue with my Maximus Hero VII. If I uninstall and remove drivers and let windows find drivers for me it gets microsoft hd drivers and the mic works again with no problems, so I conclude the drivers are the issue or there is a hidden setting that needs to be changed.