cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme Unstable

MMXMMX
Level 9
My Rampage IV Extreme is Unstable

I get error like Windows Explorer stopt working Game freezes and several BSOD .

I use 2400 mhz Corsair Vengeance memory i used the program CPU-ID to see the manual setting for the bios .
I have tried the default settings and that is 1333mhz and everything on auto in both cases it issent working right . I have used the memtest dos boot cd and let it run for 30 min no problems ad al .

The motherboard is whery unstable i use the 3301 bios

I hafe a AMD 6990 graphics card

Most of the error looks like memory related can you help me ?
41 REPLIES 41

Lemmy1978
Level 7
I have same problem before. Until im begining use x.m.p. Profile in bios, now im run my kingston hyper x 2400mhz ram/ 4500mhz core 3930K .

Sverre
Level 9
My RAM (Corsair Dominator 1600MHz) was unstable when I bought the MB. Then after som BIOS updates it was working fine, until I installed 3301. Now slot C2 and D1 doesn't work. I found the CPU overheated when I OC'ed it, but that was a mechanical fault with the water cooling. Now the CPU runs fine, but I can't run the RAM at more than 1333MHz, over that and I get BSOD problems. Since D1 is the first pair with B1 I don't realy know how to install my RAM. Now I have just used all slots excelt D1 (crash) and C2 (not recognised). Unsure what the problem is with the slots. I have taken close up photos and studied them and there's no physical damage. Also, the RAM runs on tri channel now because of the placement. Anyone know how I can place the RAM modules to get quad without using D1 and C2 (I don't need to use all 8 8GB modules, but as many as possible)? Going for some Dominator GT 2133MHz as soon as this problem is solved. I just hope it isn't a physical problem with the MB, it's hell to remove all the components as everything, and I mean everything, in there is water cooled.

Edit: All modules has been tested in slot B1 on over 1600MHz (think I used 2000MHz, but can't remember) an all of them worked. I have also run mem-test on them without problems. They run fine until Windows shuts down the display and load the drivers. Then the BSOD error comes.
[/URL]

Corsair has great customer support and will defiantly help you out. So my advice is to give them a call and ask them to help you set up there memory correctly for your platform. That being said I wont use Corsair for anything i want to have overclocked. They have overpriced standard equipment as do most re branding teams.

Aside from that, what sort of voltages are you running things at ie vram voltage - vcc voltage - cpu voltage.
Also have you run the system out of your case for testing? sometimes a improper case installation will cause a short and give your random bsod.
IF those are not the issue it is possible your PSU is not up to the task?
Try running less memory.
Try running a less powerful video card.

Sverre wrote:
My RAM (Corsair Dominator 1600MHz) was unstable when I bought the MB. Then after som BIOS updates it was working fine, until I installed 3301. Now slot C2 and D1 doesn't work. I found the CPU overheated when I OC'ed it, but that was a mechanical fault with the water cooling. Now the CPU runs fine, but I can't run the RAM at more than 1333MHz, over that and I get BSOD problems. Since D1 is the first pair with B1 I don't realy know how to install my RAM. Now I have just used all slots excelt D1 (crash) and C2 (not recognised). Unsure what the problem is with the slots. I have taken close up photos and studied them and there's no physical damage. Also, the RAM runs on tri channel now because of the placement. Anyone know how I can place the RAM modules to get quad without using D1 and C2 (I don't need to use all 8 8GB modules, but as many as possible)? Going for some Dominator GT 2133MHz as soon as this problem is solved. I just hope it isn't a physical problem with the MB, it's hell to remove all the components as everything, and I mean everything, in there is water cooled.

Edit: All modules has been tested in slot B1 on over 1600MHz (think I used 2000MHz, but can't remember) an all of them worked. I have also run mem-test on them without problems. They run fine until Windows shuts down the display and load the drivers. Then the BSOD error comes.

You might have overclamped the CPU block. Check the CPU socket for any bent pins, and adjust mounting pressure. If it's not that, either the board has become damaged (possibly socket BGA) or the CPU has deteriorated due to improper cooling when you had the waterblock problem.

Only other thing I can think of is that the DRAM timings need adjustment - even in XMP mode (some of the sub-timings may be too tight). I can help with that if need be. Will need you to upload screen captures of the DRAM timing pages. It's easy to do. Use a FAT formatted flash drive and press F12 when in UEFI to save each screen. Afterwards, convert the PNG files to JPEG in the OS and upload them so that we can view them.

-Raja

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG boards, MMXMMX.

I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this but the Vengeance series from Corsair has been causing a lot of problems on the RIVE. During the last week alone, I've seen like 4 threads about the RIVE having problems with this particular RAM. I can go as far as tell you that 9 out of 10 support threads on the ROG boards about the RIVE freezing, bsoding, etc. been attributed to the the Vengeance series.

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG boards, MMXMMX.

I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this but the Vengeance series from Corsair has been causing a lot of problems on the RIVE. During the last week alone, I've seen like 4 threads about the RIVE having problems with this particular RAM. I can go as far as tell you that 9 out of 10 support threads on the ROG boards about the RIVE freezing, bsoding, etc. been attributed to the the Vengeance series.

True. I have read of it too. But the biggest thing is you just may not be able to run your mem at full speed, try lower speed.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

scotland21
Level 9
While it is tru that a lot of issues reported appear to be vengence related there are people who get it working and those people will advise you on the settings they use, I believe x.m.p. is not used and timings applied manually.
G.Skill 16GB (4x 4GB) Quad Channel Ripjaws Z Series Memory Kit PC3-19200 CL10-12-12-31
CM Storm Stryker \ Rampage IV Formula BF3 edition \ SickleFlow 120 Green LED \ WIN7 PRO X64
SanDisk SDSSDX-120G-G25 SATA III \ OCZ Solid 3 120GB SATA III SSD \ RAID0
Mushkin Chronos 60GB SATA III SSD \ OCZ Agility 3 60GB SATA III SSD \ 2 x EVGA 660TI 2048MB SLI

mdzcpa
Level 12
Corsair Vegeance RAM is hit n miss on this board. The variable being the IMC on your chip.

You might try relaxing the timings, bumping VCCSA to 1.25v and also trying the Rampage Tweak Mode 1.

OK i wil buy new memory .

What wil you guys advice ?

Is Kingston memory ok ?