cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage vs. Maximus

Gimsly
Level 7
I'm trying to figure out the classifications of motherboards from ASUS.

I found on the rog.asus.com that there is one set of classifications:

1. Extreme - Overclockers
2. Formula - Hardcore Gamers
3. Gene - Case Modders

Finding that cleared half of the picture up for me.

The other half is this:

1. Crosshair - AMD?
2. Maximus - Intel?
3. Rampage - Intel?

I realised that the Maximus and Rampage boards are both Intel boards but what is the difference between them? Corsshair is just an AMD based board right?
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
PSU: Antec CP-850
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
GPU: NVidia GTX 260 Core 216
RAM: Corsair DHX 8GB DDR2 800MHz 6400C5DHX

"From whom much is given, much is expected."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
14 REPLIES 14

Retired
Not applicable
for the most part you have these right

Kipper
Level 10
Rampage - LGA1366

Maximus - LGA1155

xeromist
Maximus is also 1156 for the III. That's what I have 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Maximus is also 1156 for the III. That's what I have 🙂

Dam, I forgot about 1156, my bad. 😮

Area_66
Level 11
They made also a Maximus for LGA 775 Socket and the x38 chipset and then the Rampage appear for the first time with the x48 chipset ....was a long time ago 🙂

Gimsly
Level 7
Thank you for the responses. I really appreciate it.
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
PSU: Antec CP-850
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
GPU: NVidia GTX 260 Core 216
RAM: Corsair DHX 8GB DDR2 800MHz 6400C5DHX

"From whom much is given, much is expected."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Area_66
Level 11
Until know the Rampage have been exclusive to the enthusiast level X48 and X58 chipset , why no Rampage with the 1155 socket, they keep it for the next enthusiast CPU, the 2011 socket and the x68 chipset .

Retired
Not applicable
How we segment our boards:

1. Extreme - Overclockers
2. Formula - Hardcore Gamers
3. Gene - Case Modders

Before i clarify the segment, lets be honest. all motherboards will power on, boot into windows, browse the web, play movies, and play games. If i can give somewhat of a decent analogy, think of cars. Toyota and Lexus. Same company but different class of cars. Toyota is like ASUS and Lexus is like ROG. Within ROG, think of the Lexus IS250, IS350, and IS-F. The IS250 and IS-F do the same thing. It will take you from point A to point B. They can both hit 140MPH but the IS-F has a bigger motor, sportier suspension, bigger brakes, nicer rims, nicer interior, guzzles more gas and a higher price tag. IS350 is the in between model that most people will end up getting because it still has grunt.

For ROG-
Extreme are for the enthusiasts. Users that want the best of the best of what ASUS has to offer. It is like the IS-F.
Formula is for the user that still wants grunt but doesn't really need all of the fancy features that come from the extreme. Just has to have the horsepower. It is like the IS 350.
Gene is for the user that just want it to perform. It is like the IS250. (remember just because the IS250 is slower than the 350 or F, doesn't mean its slower than a Camry. It still has 200HP which is fast enough for most people)

Extreme is segmented primarily for people that plan to push their system to get maximum performance. This is focused for gamers, overclockers, and power users that want the most powerful system.

Formula is segmented for those that want all the performance from the extreme, but may not need the extra features. This is focused for gamers and power users that want lots of power.

Gene is segmented for those that want the CPU power, but don't really plan to run more than 2 VGA cards. Its also focused for small form factor systems that are more portable for you to take around to LAN events or case mods that require a tight fit. Its not super flashy but still carries the ROG bling and should turn heads in any case mod. You don't need to empty your wallet to still enjoy performance.

Now does this mean other ASUS boards are nothing compared to ROG? NO! We have awesome boards in the mainstream segment. One of my favorite boards is the Sabertooth P67! Hell, Toyota had some pretty awesome sports car in its day. Mr2, Supra, 86 Corolla, Celica All-trac. But their focus is now shifting towards Lexus when they talk performance, and we are moving towards ROG when we talk performance.

1. Crosshair - AMD? (AMD based Chipset boards)
2. Maximus - Intel? (P Series Chipset boards)
3. Rampage - Intel? (X Series Chipset boards)

Back when Nvidia had their chipset business, we had the Striker series.

Hope this helps

Retired
Not applicable