cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help! Lost Access To Recovery Partition After Windows 8 Upgrade!

cinemunkie
Level 7
Hello.

I've got a pretty big issue here and hope that somebody can help. Long story short, I upgraded my Asus G75VW-BBK5 from Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 to Windows 8 Pro a couple of days ago and have consequently lost access to my recovery partition. Upon boot or restart, holding the "F9" key will no longer launch ASUS Preload Wizard. The reason I need ASUSPW is because I want a fresh copy of W7HPSP1 without any additional and possibly incompatible software installed before upgrading to W8PRO.

I've already tried the recovery discs route. That worked fine...until the recovery process completed and I was confronted with the dreaded "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key..." message when I should've been looking at the ASUSPW start screen.

From there, all I could do was force shutdown, connect a flash drive with W8PRO setup files on it and install W8PRO.

Now this is the important part. Once W8PRO was installed, it would ask you to unplug the flash drive and restart. After doing so, I'd be asked to choose between two operating systems...Windows 8 or WinPE. If I chose Windows 8, Windows 8 would boot. But if I chose WinPE, I'd be taken to the ASUSPW start screen...which was exactly what I was trying to do in the first place.

So what's the problem then? The problem is that while I'm running ASUSPW, most of the time I'll get a huge red ERROR message before the setup is finished and have to start COMPLETELY over with the recovery discs because the WinPE operating system option will no longer be present upon restart. I say "most of the time" because I was able to get through the setup once, W7HPSP1 installed and all...but I haven't been able to duplicate this...and that bothers me.

So I came here to ask if somebody knows a better way (with a version of Windows 8 installed) to access ASUSPW or the recovery partition without having to jump through all of these fiery hoops. Please let me know.

Thanks a lot, guys.
6 REPLIES 6

Pitcher1
Level 9

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Unfortunately, it didn't go so well. I received the following error message while running the utility... "The recovery partition cannot be found! Recovery process is aborted. Please contact ASUS Service Center for further assistance."

The recovery partition is there. I'm looking right at it...and it's in perfect condition.

Any ideas?

rewben
Level 13
can you try this instead?

Sorry, didn't work for me.

1. I don't have an "AI Recovery" folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS.
2. I cannot make the recovery partition active using Disk Management.
3. When I entered the Diskpart command "set id=07 override", I received the following message: "The specified type is not in the correct format."

I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and perform a clean installation of Windows 8 Pro. I can always get any necessary ASUS drivers online.

Thanks for your help though. I really appreciate it.

rewben wrote:
can you try this instead?

Sorry, didn't work for me.

1. I don't have an "AI Recovery" folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS.
2. I cannot make the recovery partition active using Disk Management.
3. When I entered the Diskpart command "set id=07 override", I received the following message: "The specified type is not in the correct format."

I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and perform a clean installation of Windows 8 Pro. I can always get any necessary ASUS drivers online.

cinemunkie
Level 7
Fire wrote:
Forget about the recovery partition and the loated ASUS installation of Windows 7

Here is a guide that contains step by step instructions on how to create a genuine Windows 7 DVD, install Windows, then it has links to all the latest drivers, that way you'll get a clean Windows 7 without the bloatware and better performance thanks to the updated drivers:

*banned website*

Yeah, I think I'm going to take your advice and perform a clean installation of Windows 8 Pro. I can always get any necessary ASUS drivers online.