cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my recovery partition showing in Windows Explorer???

cinemunkie
Level 7
Hey, guys.

I'm not exactly sure when this happened. It was probably a few days ago when I upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro. I just didn't notice it until now.

I've been going crazy the last couple of days trying to access the recovery partition via ASUS Preload Wizard in order to get a clean installation of W7HP before upgrading to W8PRO with no luck whatsoever. I finally gave up on that, decided to just stick with a clean installation of W8PRO and downloaded whatever drivers were necessary. No problem.

Then I saw the "Recovery" drive.

What are my options with this? Is there some way so salvage the files within or reinstate the drive as a proper recovery partition? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

Zygomorphic
Level 17
It just appears because it isn't marked as hidden. Some of my hidden partitions appear depending on which Windows installation I am using.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
It just appears because it isn't marked as hidden. Some of my hidden partitions appear depending on which Windows installation I am using.

Ok, thanks.

Any chance of a second opinion from somebody?

What he said... Why would you doubt him? Go into Disk Management, right click it, Change Drive Letter and Paths, and unassign it's drive letter...
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

BNaughty wrote:
What he said... Why would you doubt him? Go into Disk Management, right click it, Change Drive Letter and Paths, and unassign it's drive letter...

Thanks. Will do.

FYI, I wasn't doubting him. I just believe in getting a second opinion on important issues, that's all.

john_from_ohio
Level 11
cinemunkie wrote:
Hey, guys.

I'm not exactly sure when this happened. It was probably a few days ago when I upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro. I just didn't notice it until now.

I've been going crazy the last couple of days trying to access the recovery partition via ASUS Preload Wizard in order to get a clean installation of W7HP before upgrading to W8PRO with no luck whatsoever. I finally gave up on that, decided to just stick with a clean installation of W8PRO and downloaded whatever drivers were necessary. No problem.

Then I saw the "Recovery" drive.

What are my options with this? Is there some way so salvage the files within or reinstate the drive as a proper recovery partition? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

If you reboot and hit one of the function keys ( F9? ) not sure ... should take you into recovery wizard using recovery partition as long as it is still around.

You could use that to recover Win 7 ... burn a new set of recovery DVDs for Win 7 ... then ditch it eventually after a WIn 9 clean install.

I for one would not convert over to Win 8 without some kind of bridge back to Win 7.

You can either delete it for more space, or use the Asus Win8 Utility to access it and recover Win7
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

john_from_ohio wrote:
If you reboot and hit one of the function keys ( F9? ) not sure ... should take you into recovery wizard using recovery partition as long as it is still around.

You could use that to recover Win 7 ... burn a new set of recovery DVDs for Win 7 ... then ditch it eventually after a WIn 9 clean install.

I for one would not convert over to Win 8 without some kind of bridge back to Win 7.

Other way is to create some free space on the drive, install LINUX, and have it install the GRUB loader. The GRUB loader will find that (bootable) partition, and then create an option to boot that recovery image. You can then remove the LINUX install if you like.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

GottiBoi55
Level 10
You just need to "remove" the drive letter in "Disk Management", this will hide in "My Computer"
when you upgraded to Win8, it moved the recovery partition and assigned a "drive letter" for it

Edit:

Try this "Asus Recovery for Win8" zip file below, this should recover to Win7 via the f9 recovery.

Edit 2:
You will need to disable "fast Startup" in Win8 first to use the "f9" recovery function.

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

emurach
Level 9
cinemukie,

The recovery partition is showing up becuase its been assigned a DRIVE LETTER.

FROM STARTUP ICON MENU - right click COMPUTER - select MANAGE

From COMPUTER MANAGEMENT window - select DISK MANGEMENT

right click on the DRIVE in question - select CHANGE DRIVE LETTERS AND PATHS - select REMOVE.

This removes the drive letter and the DRIVE will no longer appear in Windows Explorer or to the programs.
Its still there and can be then only be sean from Management or DISKPART.

I did this for a my EXT4 / LINUX drives to hide them in Explorer. Now windows no longer trys to FORMAT them.