cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene. Good for my build?

funnybiscuit
Level 9
Hey guys !
I'm about to build my very first gaming pc soon. So start it off, i'll tell you the components i'm gonna buy:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
GPU: MSi R7970 Lightning
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)
PSU: Be-Quiet Pure Power L8 630W
Motherboard: Most likely Maximus V Gene
Harddrive: Corsair SSD Force Series GT 120GB
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Additional Info:
Budget: 8500 SEK = around $1220
Budget only includes the PC itself. Everything else (mouse, keyboard, screen etc) i already have.
Main uses of intended build: Gaming, music production, little video rendering.
Monitor resolution: 1600x1050

I need some advice on the motherboard mostly. Everything else pretty sure i'm going to buy. Ofc you may comment on my other components. All help is appreciated!
This build, as some may notice, is for gaming purposes mostly but ofc i'll be doing other normal day to day stuff as well.
I also produce music, and was thinking the soundcard on this would do me good and some video rendering but nothing 3D-ish. Just some After Effects for my tracks.
I wanna stay within the mobo's price range which is about $210 here in Sweden. I'm quite satisfied with comparing to what i'm getting in return.

Also, i've posted about my rig on other forums but no one has really leaned towards the Maximus V Gene. Decided to go the forums where other people have the Maximus mobo's and see what they think so i'm already thankful for all your comments!
Hopefully i'll get some valuable information from you guys.

Thank you in advance! Looking forward to your responses!

--EDIT--
What's wrong with having a mATX? Is my build okay for that? Or do I have to get ATX?
If i do have to, i was thinking either GA-Z77X-UP4 TH or Asus Sabertooth Z77. What do you think?

AkaJuu
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1600MHz RAM
MSi Radeon HD 7970 3GB Lightning Series GPU
Samsung 840 Series120GB SSD
Zalman Z11 Plus MidTower Case
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
51 REPLIES 51

Krindor
Level 11
RoG are great in my opinion, some think it's overkill for the price, but the boards are high quality and not some cheapo stuff, it's worth every krona. I have a MVE and I have been throwing it out and in of the case as well as overclocking it, I have yet to see any fault in it. For your setup the Gene will fit perfectly.

The only thing I can see that is weak is the PSU, I would say it's better to go for a Gold rated 650w or 750w.

I would suggest you to get Xonar Xense STX as a sound card, this is currently one of the best internal sound cards on the market for its price, as it has changeable op-amps and great sound chipset.

For ram it might be clever to go for 16gb ram (4x4gb) 1600 mhz as it's pretty cheap as well as being useful when video rendering.

Also you'll need at least an HDD to store your stuff on, a 120gb won't be enough to fit OS, games as well as music programs. It's is clever to keep the OS separated from everything else on it's own drive.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Krindor wrote:
RoG are great in my opinion, some think it's overkill for the price, but the boards are high quality and not some cheapo stuff, it's worth every krona. I have a MVE and I have been throwing it out and in of the case as well as overclocking it, I have yet to see any fault in it. For your setup the Gene will fit perfectly.

The only thing I can see that is weak is the PSU, I would say it's better to go for a Gold rated 650w or 750w.

I would suggest you to get Xonar Xense STX as a sound card, this is currently one of the best internal sound cards on the market for its price, as it has changeable op-amps and great sound chipset.

For ram it might be clever to go for 16gb ram (4x4gb) 1600 mhz as it's pretty cheap as well as being useful when video rendering.

Also you'll need at least an HDD to store your stuff on, a 120gb won't be enough to fit OS, games as well as music programs. It's is clever to keep the OS separated from everything else on it's own drive.

Thanks for the input! Really puts me at ease after reading what you wrote 🙂
For the PSU, i've noticed it's not very popular in the US but it's quite popular here in Europe. But i'll look into other PSU's. Could you perhaps recommend one for me that's gold rated yet cheap because i'm quite sure gold rated PSU's are expensive 😛
I'll see if i can get 16GB and still stay within my budget, if not then i'll just wait a month or two and get another 8 GB 🙂
I should've written about the HDD. I'll be buying another HDD later on, budget is tight so it'll take another month or two until it's complete.
Probably a WD Caviar Black 1TB or more 🙂
As for the soundcard, i'll think about it, the prices here in SWE are around 1000kr which is like $140 so 😕

And to keep OS only on SSD, and avoid unwanted default C-drive installations check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...ons-on-C-drive.

And Krindor beat me to it, get a quality psu! Why collect all these goodies and then top it off with a no-name brand psu? I did that once, for a long time I didn't realize how important a good psu was for my system. Wasted a lot of time and effort... :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input and the link! i've saved it and it'll be a great help for me later when i install games etc cuz indeed i don't want to override the SSD disk. And as mentioned i'll be buying a proper one later. Should I instead get a 90GB one and save 100kr or just stick with 120 GB. Might get the 90 GB one incase i need more money for the PSU or something 🙂
The PSU isn't really a no-name but i guess if it's not known around the world it's a no-name one 😛 However, it has gotten some good awards and such, but i'll look into other ones. And as i said to Krindor. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

AkaJuu
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TenBlade
Level 11
And to keep OS only on SSD, and avoid unwanted default C-drive installations check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27134-How-to-prevent-default-installations-on-C-drive.

And Krindor beat me to it, get a quality psu! Why collect all these goodies and then top it off with a no-name brand psu? I did that once, for a long time I didn't realize how important a good psu was for my system. Wasted a lot of time and effort... :rolleyes:

Krindor
Level 11
For an OS only 90gb should be enough.

In my computer I use NZXT Hale90 750w, Bought it for 1300kr a while back. Its price have dropped so a 650w should go for around 1000kr. Be-Quiet ain't really a no-name product but it's quality ain't at the top. I base my views on reviews. There is also Corsair AX650 but i'm not sure if it's cheap.

I checked the price at Webhallen, the Hale 90 is 1090kr
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

TenBlade
Level 11
You can't use evey GB of space in an ssd, so for the sake of 100 kr don't go lower than 120 GB.
If your psu has an ok reputation, and if you're not overclocking, it could prove sufficient, then spend the eventual extra on 16 gb of ram, as recommended by K. as well. Then you could switch the psu later. I've got a Corsair 750 W, think it's silver rated, and I have no problems with it.

TenBlade
Level 11
You have to buy your ram all at once, you can't get 8 gigz now and 8 later, will give you trouble, they have to be matched. 2x8 or 4x4, no big difference, four sticks draw more power, but dunno if that's of any significance.
I got a silver rated Corsair, it's doing just fine. Would like a gold one of course :rolleyes:

Krindor wrote:
For an OS only 90gb should be enough.

In my computer I use NZXT Hale90 750w, Bought it for 1300kr a while back. Its price have dropped so a 650w should go for around 1000kr. Be-Quiet ain't really a no-name product but it's quality ain't at the top. I base my views on reviews. There is also Corsair AX650 but i'm not sure if it's cheap.

I checked the price at Webhallen, the Hale 90 is 1090kr

Oh lol didn't see you were located in Sweden as well x) I take that as a plus 😉
Yeah I guess. Guess that extra 100kr can go onto the psu.
So a psu is really that important huh? I guess i'll have to get it! I don't think i'll be building a whole new rig in the next couple of years so it's good if it's a solid build right?

TenBlade wrote:
You have to buy your ram all at once, you can't get 8 gigz now and 8 later, will give you trouble, they have to be match
ed. 2x8 or 4x4, no big difference, four sticks draw more power, but dunno if that's of any significance.
I got a silver rated Corsair, it's doing just fine. Would like a gold one of course :rolleyes:

Ah, really? I thought it was okay to buy 8 first and then another 8? And let's say i do buy 2x8.. and i want to upgrade from 16 to 32.. how would do i do then? Although i don't know if i will or if i'll have to .. will i?
Also if you could help me out to pick, this goes for Krindor as well 🙂

It's either one of the ones i'm about to link. Both will have to be 4x4GB cuz i can't find 1x8GB in red. (has to be red to fit the mobo 😉 )

1. This one is more expensive but that's probably because it's 1866MHz.

2. This one is cheaper in the sense that it's actually 2x4GB but i'll buy two of those so it'll be 4x4G...

What you guys think?
And thanks you so much for helping me out!

AkaJuu
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU

Black4
Level 8
You will simply LOVE the Maximus V GENE, and it has the best value of the superb Republic of Gamers line. Aside from the power supply quality mentioned above, you've chosen components well for your build.

The little GENE board cannot run triple SLI and that's about it. ASUS' R-O-G line is the best quality mainboards available and I am very happy with my GENE. You can push it hard and have confidence it won't give up.

Larger boards allow greater options for add-in card expansion, like triple and quad SLI. The little V GENE board will do everything else that it's big brothers (ATX and E-ATX) board do, at a fraction of the price.

You won't be dissappointed.
A Republic of Gamers heart.

The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

TenBlade
Level 11
I rarely repeat myself, but I don´t want you to do something you´d regret: You should NOT buy RAM in several sets and put them together, the set has to be matched, you could most likely be wasting your money! Even if it´s the exact same kind of RAM. You´re begging for trouble. If you want to go from 8 to 16 or higher, you can sell off the smaller set and use that as a down payment for a new set.