cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which live Linux distro works best with the G75VW?

tkolarik
Level 9
I have to install Oracle 11g for a class, and even with the G75 and 16GB RAM, running it in Windows XP mode is painfully slow. I would prefer the best 64-bit I can do a "live" install. I will run on a USB stick.

I ran them before on laptops and have a horrible time with the laptop display.

Thanks!
100 REPLIES 100

boofsterb
Level 10
tkolarik wrote:
I have to install Oracle 11g for a class, and even with the G75 and 16GB RAM, running it in Windows XP mode is painfully slow. I would prefer the best 64-bit I can do a "live" install. I will run on a USB stick.

Thanks!

If you just want to keep it on a pen drive I'd go with Slax.
Ubuntu, I think, would run best with a full install.

fostert
Level 12
tkolarik wrote:

Thanks!

Ever try Knoppix? Its a great live distro, and Klaus Knoppers (the maker, and columnist for Linux magazine) is truly a guru among gurus. Knoppix seems to run all kinds of hardware (as it is based on the very best disto IMHO: Debian), and is really solid.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
Ever try Knoppix? Its a great live distro, and Klaus Knoppers (the maker, and columnist for Linux magazine) is truly a guru among gurus. Knoppix seems to run all kinds of hardware (as it is based on the very best disto IMHO: Debian), and is really solid.

Sounds like it is worth a try. OpenSUSE has a live distro that seems to work in a VM, but haven't tried it live on the bare metal. I second @fostert's suggestion. Please avoid Ubuntu because of the "phone home" for amazon and the high numbers of bugs.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
Please avoid Ubuntu because of the "phone home" for amazon and the high numbers of bugs.

I did some reading about this tonight, and all I gotta say is "wow". That level of privacy invasion is a new level of desperation for any company to take to drum up revenue; I would expect this sort of breaking of trust by microsoft, but the fact that a linux distro is pioneering this is just disgusting. Linux is about freedom from the monopoly of windows, but ubuntu just wants to be just like big brother bill, and take that freedom away. Sheesh.

I second @Zygo's suggestion: avoid ubuntu.
--
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203

fostert wrote:
I did some reading about this tonight, and all I gotta say is "wow". That level of privacy invasion is a new level of desperation for any company to take to drum up revenue; I would expect this sort of breaking of trust by microsoft, but the fact that a linux distro is pioneering this is just disgusting. Linux is about freedom from the monopoly of windows, but ubuntu just wants to be just like big brother bill, and take that freedom away. Sheesh.

I second @Zygo's suggestion: avoid ubuntu.

Correction...they want to be like A****. Said company is worse than MS, and is trying to take over every portion of technology and enslave users to the almighty "keeping up with the jobses..." 😄
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

Yeah; I try to keep all a**le software **OFF** my wife's N53SN, because once its on there it infects the win7 registry to such an extent that getting it totally uninstalled is impossible. A manual search of the registry (using regedit) after removing itunes revealled hundreds of keys with variant of itunes, ipod,iphone, and other ithings, as well as a**le. Its vermin-ware, perfect for the non-secure OS like windows, where it can get into every corner and hide.
--
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203

If you are looking for an OS where you choose what it offers look into slackware

boofsterb wrote:
If you are looking for an OS where you choose what it offers look into slackware

Interesting, never tried that distro before. Debian would be another distro where you can add a lot of packages. Maybe not to the same level of customization as slackware, but the package management system is amazing, as @fostert can tell you.

boofsterb wrote:

My very first linux distro back in 1995 was Slackware 3.0, with the barely-out-of-beta Linux kernel 1.2.13. It was the only one for sale in my local computer shop on a CD ($5), but I needed linux to run some unix software that had just been ported. This was before the days of redhat, ubuntu, mandrake, etc....all the big-box distros had yet to come out. Slack was great but you to live close to the hardware: if you had hardware that wasn't recognized, you recompiled the kernel to try and add that support (there were no insertable kernel modules then), or you wrote the device driver yourself. Today of course its alot less primitive because the community is thousands of times larger, but slack really still is a hacker's distro - not something to recommend to the linux newcomer.
--
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203