cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 BBK help needed

nemrod811
Level 7
Hello everyone new to the forum and new owner of a g75. OK so here's my issue I got my laptop from a guy on Craigslist got really good deal on it, ad said it was new and upon inspection it looks flawless even came with a receipt from best buy showing it was purchased the day before on 1/5/13. It appears to work fine and everything but when I went to make the backups it said that there wasn't one. So I followed a lot of threads on what may be causing the prob and that's when I noticed that this laptop doesn't have w7 home premium instead it has w7 pro. So I'm assuming the partition has been deleted. Now I know I can get the disc from Asus but really didn't wanna spend $50 to get them. Now I'm thinking of returning it with the receipt but just little worried because price on receipt is way below what these things go for and don't want to get guy in trouble for selling it using employee discount or if by some chance he fabricated the receipt as he won't answer my text anymore has me worried. I took the receipt into best buy before I knew bout the recovery prob to inquire bout the extended warranty and guy didn't make any comments as to price he was more into selling me the plan. So the receipt seems legit as they even printed me another for save keeping. Only other thing is how to know this receipt actually belongs to my laptop. Now if there's a way to get the recovery disc from a download would be great I assume all g75 bbks from best buy are identical so I assume they should work? I'd like my laptop to be back to stock and I'd like to install an ssd but can't do it without the disc. Thx in advance and maybe someone can shed some light on my issue
42 REPLIES 42

rewben
Level 13
if you're worrying about the authenticity of the receipt, the best choice you have is still go back to bestbuy for verification.

what's your model version by the way? for units that's preloaded with w7 home premium, there should be a sticker that has the original OS product key at the back of your laptop (or in the battery compartments). you can use it to revert to w7 home premium if you want.

ASUS doesn't provide the recovery disk set for free download. what you can still do is a fresh windows install and use the latest drivers and stuff from ASUS. imo, it's better you do it fresh.

It's a g75vw-bbk5 the best buy model. I knew didn't offer any download I was hoping maybe somebody knew a site that might host it or a forum member could make me a copy of theirs. As for the authenticity of the receipt I assume it's legit being that best buy made me another copy of the original by scanning it. What I was tryin to figure out is if it actually goes to this laptop

dstrakele
Level 14
How does the price compare to new and refurbished g75vw-bbk5's offered by Best Buy?

Is the serial number of the laptop on the receipt?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I don't believe BB sells refurb but I know they sell some returned items. If tor asking what the price diff is on the receipt compared to reg price it's half the original cost including taxes and no there using any serial number on receipt either

dstrakele
Level 14
If it was open box with an employee discount, I could imagine a 50% markdown.

Is there no Best Buy SKU# or part number to further identify the laptop on the receipt?

nemrod811
Level 7
Yea there's a sku just no serial number. All the receipt says is clearance and then another discount .I worked at best buy before just never got a discount that huge. 51276239 is the sku

dstrakele
Level 14
5176239 is the SKU for that item on the Best Buy website, so I think you're close enough. Relax and enjoy your good deal!

john_from_ohio
Level 11
If it is working fine ... no real need for asus recovery disks ... you can use Windows 7 backup utility to make system images and take backups.

I would do that right away and then think about swapping out internal drive and put in an ssd.

john_from_ohio wrote:
If it is working fine ... no real need for asus recovery disks ... you can use Windows 7 backup utility to make system images and take backups.

I would do that right away and then think about swapping out internal drive and put in an ssd.

Only problem is I don't have a key for w7 pro which is what's currently on it right now. That's why I want the back ups so I can put it back the way it should be