cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting a stable 2600k overclock Maximus iv extreme

Retired
Not applicable
My system is stable at stock speeds. The system is liquid cooled with one loop for the 2600k, one for the 590 GTX. The first OC i tried was the extreme via CPU-Z while in windows. After a few hours it gave me a OC of ~4.8. Windows booted up fine, but my LAN devices stopped working, so I had no internet. Also, my boot screen changed from the ROG screen to American Megatrends.. wierd. Then I tried a FAST OC instead of the EXTREME and it gave me 4.45. Everything is running perfext except when I restart or shutdown, then boot up, the computer turns off after a few seconds, then back on, and its good to go after that. What is going on here to make it shutdown and reboot? Also, when in the BIOS, is the CPU at full load? Because my cpu temp while in BIOS reads about 40 C, but while in Windows it idles at 29-32 C(1.6 ghz) and 40ish under load(4.45ghz).

P.S. How are my temps? No real benching yet, 46-47 @ 4.5ghz on cpu stress test windows experience index, 29-32 idle, and temps should drop a few degrees after the arctic silver 200hr burn in.

I would like to overclock to 4.5 with no issues on startup. Thank you for reading.
2 REPLIES 2

Retired
Not applicable
you should be able to 4.4 with no voltage or anything just scale the multiplexer and you done. those temps are great my 2600k is on an H70 and those temps are not that good.

Brian put together an in depth guide on overclocking check out http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2157-Maximus-IV-Extreme-Bios-Sandybridge-CPU-Overview-a...

I'm guessing when you chose the extreme profile, your lan was disabled in the bios, also it disabled the fullscreen logo on boot up you can manually adjust those in the bios as well.

If you want to monitor you temps in windows use Realtemp 3.67 or later. the temps you listed are subjective really need to know your ambient temps and use a program that actually stresses your CPU.

As far as water cooling goes if you want to get lower overall temps ditch the two loops and make one.

Good luck to you.