cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fn+f9 not working, everything else does.

Anthraxious
Level 7
Hey there

Purchased my G55VW-S1177H like a week ago. It's all epic (except some Windows 8 things which I battle out with Microsoft).

Now I noticed from day one that my fn+f9 doesn't work. Switching off the touchpad is impossible. I've installed a Steelseries Raw mouse and I've even been in the device manager manually disabling the different mice. My Steelseries gets disabled when I chose to but not the touchpad. It ALWAYS seem to work. This is especially annoying cause of the placement of laptop touchpads. Don't get me wrong, it's he best placement except for what this machine was built for: gaming.

Another thing that doesn't work is the scrolling. I used to be able to scroll sideways in Windows 8 and up/down in websites with the double finger scroll. Not only that, but the pinch to zoom is also nonexistent.

I have upgraded to Windows 8 Pro (Cause of issues with the regular release; again, problem between Microsoft and I) but these issues were present from before the upgrade.

I reinstalled the touchpad drivers (First deleted them, then installed them) but it didn't seem to help.

I hope there's a fix to this. What I want available is simply scroll and zoom functionality and the all important Turn-off-when-gaming-by-pressing-fn-and-f9.

Whenever I google this issue it's people mainly wanting to turn the touchpad ON because they somehow messed up their drivers.

I hope some kind person can help me out here.

Have a nice day,
Anthraxious
48 REPLIES 48

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Have you tried updating the ATK Package aswell? from what I hear, this is what's responsible for a lot of the fn keys to work

Anthraxious
Level 7
I read that in another thread, but then again, it's only one of my keys and the pad which isn't even counted along with the keyboard.

I'll go check that ATK out, is it on the download site?

ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities <- You mean this under Utilities?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15

rewben
Level 13
@Anthraxious, usually you just need 2 drivers from ASUS to control touchpad via fn keys: ATK Package and Touchpad driver.

Anthraxious
Level 7
Yeah I'll reinstall both soon as I can and tell you guys how it went.

Also the Touchpad category has 3 drivers. Two are different dated ROG gaming mouse and one is Elantech touchpad. I'm kinda leaning towards the Elantech one seen as how I don't use a ROG mouse. Can I just install that or do I need the ROG one? I already uninstalled the ROG from my Programs.

Anthraxious
Level 7
**** it, I'll go with the Elantech one. It's the only one that says "touchpad" in the name xD.

[Btw, can I uninstall the ATK package before reinstalling or is it many separate small drivers that I have to find to do so? Is it even necessary to uninstall it/them beforehand?]

Nvm the above, I pressed Setup and the first thing that popped up was to either repair or remove.

Anthraxious
Level 7
Well, update:

Great, nothing seems to have changed.

I pressed Setup on the ATK pckage, removed the ATK, rebooted.
Pressed Setup, installed ATK, rebooted.
Pressed setup Elantech, installed, rebooted.
Everything went back to how it used to be: touchpad doesn't turn on/off with the fn+f9 combo. I can't scroll nor can I zoom with the touchpad. Conclusion; problem remains.

I've built and installed many computers and drivers before. I do know how things work. This is the first time I've stumbled upon a problem where the drivers didn't fix it. Are you guys sure the latest update has this fixed? Cause I can imagine the manufacturer installing the latest updates and this being one of the things they haven't yet fixed.

rewben
Level 13
there was a similar case like this one (couldn't adjust brightness using fn keys; other keys worked). actually i still don't know which software/driver is causing this conflict.

Pitcher1
Level 9
just Fn + F9 can not use or all function key can not use? if just Fn+F9 can not use, it is very strange.