cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 Core x64 Retail/RTM iso for reinstalling

veer01_42
Level 8
If a system that came with an OEM copy of Windows 8 had a hard drive failure, or you decided to change your disc drive and you need to reinstall Windows, it may be easier to do than you think.

Windows 8 uses the new SLIC 3.0 standard for OEMs to preinstall system with Windows 8.

With the old SLIC 2.0 which used the master serial system, once you got our hands on a OEM Windows install disc, it would automagically work on any other PC made by that OEM.

The SLIC 3.0 gets rid of the Master Serial and instead, takes the serial that use to come on your Genuine Windows sticker, and embeds it in your motherboards firmware.

The upside, you can now use any Windows 8 install disc (retail or RTM) to reinstall windows. Just be sure to use the disc with the version of Win 8 that came with your system (Win 8 Core x86/x64 or Win 8 Pro x86/x64)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a post on the digital life forums providing torrents to download the official ISOs

Download, put them on a DVD/USB then boot and follow along. At no point will it ask your for a serial (if it does, you used the wrong ISO). It will automatically read it off the motherboard and enter it for you.

Once installation is complete, check the system properties under the activation status. The last 5 digits of the windows serial displayed will be yours.

Once you connect to the internet, it will automatically activate.

PS: Remember to use a program like Magic Jellybean KeyFinder to locate and backup your Windows 8 Serial in case you ever need it.
23 REPLIES 23

DirtyCodingHabi
Level 9
So does this mean I can do a clean install on my G75VX? please let me know because I really want to do this.

Yes, with this Windows 8 Core ISO, you can do a clean install.

DirtyCodingHabitz wrote:
So does this mean I can do a clean install on my G75VX? please let me know because I really want to do this.

Yes you can.

rewben
Level 13
DirtyCodingHabitz, you can always do a clean install with w8 if you want to.

what's keeping you from doing that, may i ask?

rewben wrote:

Well I don't have a Windows 8 disc nor the original ISO. So whenever I refresh my Windows 8 the bloatware is auto installed.

So If I install Windows 8, do I have to enter any keys? do I backup my key?

No need for serial key win8 will auto activate. Ive done this changing to new ssd. I also got my win8 iso from torrent.

It is just weird why asus don't give us a win8 disc because it is troublesome if change new hdd/sdd..

bernier wrote:
No need for serial key win8 will auto activate. Ive done this changing to new ssd. I also got my win8 iso from torrent.

It is just weird why asus don't give us a win8 disc because it is troublesome if change new hdd/sdd..

normally, if you have the untouched w8 ISO, you should be able to proceed without key. it's better to get the OS installation media from the trusted source. since we all have the valid key, that's just a few clicks away with the official download software from Microsoft.

rewben wrote:

As it was with me, finding a Windows 8 Core ISO was the major problem.

rewben
Level 13
read here. your recovered key should be able to retrieve w8 ISO.

edit: i have also tested the program (Magic Jellybean KeyFinder) linked by the OP above. it worked to reveal the serial number too.