cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working msata ssd for G46

JwPwns
Level 10
I want to give the latest discovery i found to other G46 owners, you can upgrade the Msata ssd and have it work in as little as 30minutes. I currently have a samsung msata ssd (not mini) installed in mine and running with the original 750g HDD. The msata port will fit the normal size msata but not perfectly, you will have to tape the ssd down and allow one loose screw on the motherboard. anyways heres a video of my g46 running wins 7 ultimate on the ssd with the "slave" hdd 😃 enjoy

Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

8 REPLIES 8

Pitcher1
Level 9
thanks for sharing, it will help most of people to upgrade.

Durpaneus
Level 7
I have the same configuration, I have tried to install an/ a-data msata but Is not detected can you pls write down the tweaks to do for bios?
Or maybe because I didn't put the tape to hold it down? Pls help me. I don't know why there are no screws to fix it maybe required different model?
Also how to switch between intel hd and nvidia grapichs? because it seems always on intel and getting crap windows score

be77solo
Level 7
As a side note to JwPwns great information, make sure you are running the latest BIOS, 209.... mine shipped with 205 and I had never updated as I don't typically unless there is an issue or new feature I'm after... I could not get the mSATA to be recognized, but once I remembered seeing an updated BIOS a few weeks ago I gave it a shot... mSATA SSD was then recognized properly in the BIOS and it was down to formatting it and setting up Windows to see it.... all good to go. I used a Crucial m4 256GB mSATA, a quick Crystal Mark test showed a 510read/268 write so it's plenty fast as a main drive.

Durpaneus: Hopefully that solves your problem with getting it recognized, but you do have to secure the drive down in some fashion for it to seat properly.... I used several strips of electrical tape and removed the battery screw/tab/peg that was in the way.... JwPwns used tape and let it rest on the screw.... make sure you do something to keep the drive in place so it keeps a good connection. Good Luck!
Asus G46VW - i7-3630QM, Crucial m4 256GB mSATA SDD, 750GB HDD, 16GB Vengeance 1866, Nvidia 660mGTX
Asus G73JH-RBBX05 - Samsung 256GB 840 PRO SSD, WD 750GB Black 7.2K, 6GB, Bluray

be77solo wrote:
As a side note to JwPwns great information, make sure you are running the latest BIOS, 209.... mine shipped with 205 and I had never updated as I don't typically unless there is an issue or new feature I'm after... I could not get the mSATA to be recognized, but once I remembered seeing an updated BIOS a few weeks ago I gave it a shot... mSATA SSD was then recognized properly in the BIOS and it was down to formatting it and setting up Windows to see it.... all good to go. I used a Crucial m4 256GB mSATA, a quick Crystal Mark test showed a 510read/268 write so it's plenty fast as a main drive.

Durpaneus: Hopefully that solves your problem with getting it recognized, but you do have to secure the drive down in some fashion for it to seat properly.... I used several strips of electrical tape and removed the battery screw/tab/peg that was in the way.... JwPwns used tape and let it rest on the screw.... make sure you do something to keep the drive in place so it keeps a good connection. Good Luck!

=D ^ exactly what he said, and regarding to the intel hd problem is that everything thats none-graphic intense will be default handle by the hd4k, i don't know anyway to disable it because nvidia driver won't work unless u install the intel one first. if you want to see the test score with the 660m you will have to connect a monitor to the laptop and run test on that, thats the only way i figured out how to use nvidia all the time
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

Thanks a lot guys finally after few hours I have managed to make it running.
The BIOS was ok only thing the card was slipping from the slot so I put some electrical tape to hold it down...
After this was not working again (not recognized)..... I've put some tape beetween the card and that funny screw (something was touching there) and got it working again hope for good. Anybody has ideea what kind of short msata is that? to fix it proper in the screw on the MB.
Now I have a 64gb msata and I'm planning for a 128-256 in future but with this shorter size if available.
Connected to external lcd and finnaly got v good performance (min 7.1-because i5).

Well Obviously your not making a solid connection. You'll have to sort out yourself what is preventing your making a solid connection. You must have some obstruction. Search the threads there are more than just this thread on installing the msata in G46. You also might trying to PM some of these people that have successfully installed this. Most of these people have moved on to newer notebooks and may not be checking back into this forum. You might also check into Notebook review forum I'm pretty sure that there have been some discussion on this there too.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

panosbob
Level 7
Hey , so I just installed an mSata on my system , at first in wouldn't recognize it at all,
then I used some tape to hold it down and it recognized it for a few minutes but then
nothing again, last attempt put some electrical tape in between the mSata and the mo/bo .

Again the same result, any suggestions as to why this happens ?

jacobssn
Level 7
I used this one for a long time in my G46VW for Raid 0 with a 256GB 2.5" SATA SSD.

It did require me to remove one overlaying screw from the mobo though (otherwise I'd go right into the module).
Also, you will be required to disassemble the whole system more or less.
G46VW | 3740QM @3.7GHz (All cores) | SanDisk 960GB SSD | 16GB Kingston LoVo | GTX 660M | GTX 970 via Thunderbolt