cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW and SSD Problems

eddietk
Level 7
Has anyone successfully upgraded to a SSD in their G46? I am having some serious issues.

My Samsung 830 is not recognized in my BIOS. I flashed my BIOS and have not clue what the issue is. It is set to AHCI. Would like to know if anyone else had a smoother time upgrading.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

clorbag
Level 7
i was thinking about upgrding as i have an ocz vertex 4 ssd that i have not used yet. was your g46 hard to open up and find the hdd to eplace? if not ill try to put my ssd in tomorrow and see if i can help.

That was not too hard. There are 7 torx screws and 3 phillips screws that need to come out to get the keyboard to "flip" open. After that though, the BIOS is not cooperating with my SSD and I've gone back to HDD that came with it. May go with another notebook that actually works with SSD if others are having issues.

clorbag
Level 7
ill do it tomorrow and see how it works with me, the g46 is also really new and lots of updates are coming it way, id hold onto it as its such a powerful notebook for its size.btw what size torx wrench was it so i dont have to buy the whole kit of em.

Ray_Khouw
Level 7
Please post an update. I'm looking into purchasing one, but won't do it until i can confirm that an SSD can be put in.

Thanks in advance

JwPwns
Level 10
you guys missed all my crazy post about msata ssd lol, anyways you can still find my post http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27956-Working-msata-ssd-for-G46&country=&status=

i have opened mine twice first put in ssd, (patriot pyro) and it worked and booted up with preinstalled os (win7 ultimate)
the 2nd time was to add msata ssd (128gb samsung) and the original hdd. first wouldn't detect my ssd but i went to bios and messed around with settings, i turned on raid along with few other options that i saw about sata connections, then i restarted and tah-duh my msata ssd with HDD
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

JwPwns
Level 10
and i did put in a full size ssd, patriot pyro in the hdd slot and it worked too, u have to disable secure boot and enable launch csm
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

belladabin
Level 7
atriot pyro in the hdd slot and it worked too, u have to disable secure boot and enable launch csm.good