cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 + BIOS update = ULTRA FAIL

ggBanks
Level 10
Ok, I guess sooner or later my time would have come as well. So here is the problem:

I don't know why, but I decided to upgrade my BIOS on my G55 from 209 to 217. I am using Windows 8, and I used WinFlash to update the BIOS. The procedure was straight forward and no hiccups there!

After the BIOS flash, the flash tool prompted for a shutdown, I shut my laptop down and pressed the power button again and it booted normally into windows. Now what I did next pretty much fu**ed things up!

I restarted the laptop to enter the BIOS settings screen, because I wanted to see whats changed. I looked through the tabs and all, I did NOT change any settings in the BIOS menus, but anyway I pressed SAVE and EXIT on the exit screen.

After that it rebooted, but nothing happened. The screen wasn't lid up, it didn't even glow in black color. It didn't even have power.

After that I pressed and held the power button so I shut the laptop down completely, and then pressed the power button again to try and boot again, hoping it will work, but it didn't.

The only thing that happened was:

1. I press the power button
2. The laptop lights up the keyboard, and starts spinning the HDD like it is preparing to boot
3. The keyboard light stops, HDD keeps spinning and screen is off

That's what happens everytime, and I cannot even boot into the BIOS menu...

Please give some suggestions! I am far away from home and that is the only computer I have at my disposal right now. It is pretty damn important that I fix it ASAP. Thank you in advance!
28 REPLIES 28

r33fd
Level 7
Did you restored optimized default ?

ggBanks
Level 10
Here is what I tried to do: I unplugged every kind of cable, flash drive or mouse from every port on the laptop, then I removed the battery and disassembled the laptop, so I can get to the BIOS coin looking battery. I removed it, waited for around 3 minutes, then inserted it again, got the laptop back together inserted the battery and when I tried to boot, but the same thing happened. 😞

rewben
Level 13
oh. that's bad.

do you keep c:\g55vw.bin? if you do, you should try ctrl+home combo. if that doesn't work, well, service center or RMA will be next 😕

i always reset everything to defaults and save the changes before and after i flash the bios. everything is fine here.

is that the right way to go to reset cmos? i am not really sure about the process.

dstrakele
Level 14
There have been a number of people reporting bricked laptops after Saving & Exiting the BIOS for the first time after a Flash. WinFlash was involved in this instance and the only other one I can remember at this time. It would be interesting to know if it is specifically WinFlash on Windows 8 and if the current WinFlash version was used.

Personally, I recommend using the EasyFlash utility in the BIOS with the BIOS update file uncompressed directly to a single partition FAT32 format USB flash drive.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ggBanks
Level 10
How much will it cost if I have to do an RMA with voided warranty?
Will 8GB flash drive work, or do I need a 2GB one?

rewben
Level 13
8gb usb stick is fine. just format it with fat32 will do. i'm not sure about the rma charges sorry.

dstrakele
Level 14
Try spamming F4 at startup to see if you can enter the EasyFlash utility. The USB flash drive can be any size as long as it has a single FAT32 partition.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ggBanks
Level 10
Ok I have made a list various things I can try. I will try doing everything, and come back with details. Stay tuned...

ggBanks
Level 10
Ok, so here's what I did:
1. Unplugging, then removing the battery, then holding the PWR button for 5 min, then plug in AC (no battery), and then press power button. = FAIL
2. Removed SSD and HDD (no battery), then plug in AC and press PWR button. = FAIL
3. Did 2 with battery inserted. = FAIL
4. Held Ctrl + Home then pressed PWR (no battery) = FAIL
5. Tried pressinf F4 and tehn PWR (no battery) = FAIL