cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW Designer Interview: Everything About The New 14-inch ROG Gaming Notebook

Mankz
Level 10
We sat down with G46 designer, Tony, from the ASUS Design Team to throw him some questions on ROG’s new 14″ addition to its gaming notebooks.

http://rog.asus.com/199032013/g-series-laptops/g46vw-designer-interview-everything-about-the-new-14-...
20 REPLIES 20

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Nice interview, it's good to see a face behind the product!!!

Though I do have one question and i'm surprised it hasn't escaped the lips of any Windows 8 Preloaded Laptop User...as far as I have seen, my question is this:

We've seen the current RoG Motherboards come out with the DirectKey, to be used for cold boot directly into the BIOS, or even from within Windows 8 its self to get access to the BIOS...why haven't any of the laptops yet, been equipped with such a button to allow users fast and easy access to their BIOS?

dclanz
Level 10
Very nice, although I am curious about the G47 (when it is released) this one (G46VW) is a keeper for a few years well! 🙂

t0bi wrote:
I would like to know when will be available the G46 with a 900p display

I want to know this too 🙂
Lord Vader

t0bi
Level 7

t0bi wrote:

Yup, waiting on that as well.
If you like NPC battles, check out my YouTube channel!

www.youtube.com/NPCwars

t0bi wrote:

Me too! This is the only thing holding me back from ordering this bad boy...

e3zkiel wrote:
Me too! This is the only thing holding me back from ordering this bad boy...

I too was a bit sceptical to the screen resolution prior to buying it, but you know what? Resolution is not everything. It's at least as much about screen quality as with resolution. From my time with the G46, I can safely say that the quality of the screen is very good, with "close to IPS" contrast levels and viewing angles. Besides, most dedicated gamers use an external screen that has 1080p+ resolutions anyway. In other words, I wouldn't be at all concerned.This is however just my personal opinion, and I respect the fact that anyone else thinks differently.

t0bi wrote:

Ditto. It continues to surprise me that there is so little information out there regarding when 900p resolution, SSD, and I7 features will be available for the G46. I'm not in marketing or sales and don't get why target dates aren't more readily available.

pongkie
Level 7
All G46 ship with Windows 8, so was there any accommodation in design to the new OS?

Tony: One thing we see in Windows 8 is the addition of touchscreens to use the modern UI. But gamer’s don’t need a touchscreen at all – it’s all keyboard and mouse, or sometimes a specific USB controller for driving or flying games – so we deliberately left it out of the design.

I disagree about this one. Having a touch screen is an advantage for a gaming laptop in design. actually its another opportunity how to redesign a gaming laptop especially for windows 8.

By having a touch screen ASUS ROG can make a gaming laptop without a touch/track pad and use the touchscreen instead in navigating around the system. I've never seen someone use a touch pad for gaming anyway but why is it there? So that logic should not be used against touch screens.

Without a touch pad there will be space for programmable gaming keys!!!!! hence making a ROG laptop more of a gaming laptop not just a laptop with insane specs. Just remove the touch pad bring the standard qwerty keyboard down a bit and put programmable keys above it. Also without the track pad eating much space designers can put a second screen in between the programmable keys.

I hope ASUS ROG would consider something like this in the future.