cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Already Built system but need advice on OC

Korvan
Level 8
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.9GHz/4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor with Liquid Cooling Kit
KINGWIN LZP-1000 1000W ATX 12V v2.2, EPS 12V v2.91, and SSI EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM
HIS IceQ Boost Clock H795QC3G2M Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full

I got the beast together but it seems very finicky when i try to OC at all. I guess the actual tool in windows to do the auto OC fails before hitting 4.0 ghz gives the Microsoft windows 8 BSOD.
it also seems like my ram wont run over 1333 at all.

I am a noob when it comes to OC any advice on where to start and what settings to alter in bios to begin the OC would be greatly appreciated also if you any advice at all in reference to my build ty guys and gals 🙂
69 REPLIES 69

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers, Korvan.

CPU Level Up is a nice feature but you'd get better results if you overclock manually in the BIOS. Overclocking is actually alot of fun if you do it correctly. I'll leave you with this Crosshair V Formula & AMD FX 8150 CPU Overclocking Guide which should help you get a nice overclock.

For setting up your RAM to run at it's advertised speed, you can use the link in my signature. Use the manual method.

Korvan
Level 8
Thanks alot Chino when i get home from work ill check all this out and repost after I am done ty agian 🙂

Zka17
Level 16
Yeap, forget those application which are using presets... in OS or in BIOS, they're just causing trouble...

Do as Chino said, read the OC guide and start learning/doing it manually... 🙂

Korvan
Level 8
So I started tweaking my system went in and did my ram first and set the timings and the voltage and the frequency and it would not boot I lowered the frequency a notch and it booted running around 2300. Then I started messing with my CPU ratio and bus frequency. I dont know enough and the tutorial I was linked to really does not explain enough for a noob like me. So I only messed with those 2 things I go tthe system up to current speed 4219mghz memory frequency 1903, NB frequency 2244. But my system is water cooled and I heard peeps getting it much higher on non water cooled systems. So I really dunno where to make my small tweaks and in what area to make them. From what the tutorial said he made adjustments to some voltages that worked for his system I tried all that in the beginning and system would not boot. Any ideas or further advice would be appreciated ty. I did get the system not tested after but booted up and gaming form 3.6ghz up to 4.2ghz

Zka17
Level 16
Watch your temps all the time while you're OC'ing... you have to realize that there are no two system which would behave/OC the same way... - so, a lot of trial and failure until you get the max out of your system...

I do think, you have more potential in that built... unfortunately, I don't have yet a similar setup... - but it's on the way! 🙂

Until i can start tweaking on the same platform, you could ask around in the Forum... recently I saw Hartacus doing a good job, also, Myk, Crplmr are on AMD systems (and they have quite good experience)...

Also, if you don't understand something from that guide, just ask...

Korvan
Level 8
Ty ZK I guess its more about what specific areas to tweak and by what ratios. meaning if I mess with my Cpu ratio should my bus frequency be adjusted higher or lower each time? And by how many points, also should i be messing with my actual cpu voltages and such is all. Like u said you dont maybe have similar build but I feel this should be maybe kinda overall sense in OCing anything but I dunno. My temps are staying extremely low through everything I have done thus far

Korvan
Level 8
Form what I read without watercooling I should easily hit about 4.8. That and stable I would be very happy at.

Chino
Level 15