cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some help with a new build...P9X79 Pro Q Code AF???

KenTanker0us
Level 7
Hello friends, I'm having problems (again!!) with a P9X79 Pro build.

The machine won't post. I'm getting a Q Code 'AF' which the manual tells me is an 'exit boot services event'. What the hell does that mean??

Here's what I'm using:

OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 128GB SATA III 6 Gbps for my system drive (NEW)

P9X79 Pro just received from ASUS (RMA)

Intel i7 3820 CPU (NEW)

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 CPU Cooler (NEW)

Corsair AX 750 PSU

ASUS DVD ROM

1 stick of Corsair Vengeance ram (I tried swapping in a Gskill Ripjawz that I know is good (it's in this machine I'm typing on) but it didn't change anything.)

GeForce 8800 GTX

Does anybody know what this Q Code represents? I've been very careful with this build and I can't imagine what's wrong.

Thanks very much for any help you can give!!
56 REPLIES 56

KenTanker0us
Level 7
Thanks for responding. Yes, the DRAM LED is constantly lit.

Chino
Level 15
Ok. I need you to check 2 things for me.

1. Look on the long sticker that's on your motherboard. Post the last 4 digits that you see.

and

2. Look on the box that your i7 3820 came in. See if it's the M0 or M1 stepping.

Perhaps I should point out that this is a mobo that I just received from ASUS via RMA. Is this info relevant?

KenTanker0us
Level 7
The last 4 digits of the serial number are 000E. (I think they are zeros). I've gone over every inch of the box the CPU came in and I can find no evidence of M0 or M1 anyplace. Might this info be listed someplace else?

Thanks again.

Chino
Level 15
Did you get those 4 digits from the thin white sticker with a bar code that's usually located along the edge and normally above the 24pin connector?

Regarding stepping, I've been googling the model number of this CPU and I found this link

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/51126-intel-core-i7-3820-sandy-bridge-...

that includes this text:

"...that the i7-3820 is based on the different M1 stepping instead of C1 or C2..."

..so if this is accurate (?), it seems to be M1 stepping.

I admit I don't know a whole lot about stepping; can I assume that all i7-3280 chips will be M1 stepping?

(on edit) I also found this link:

http://ark.intel.com/search?q=BX80619I73820

which also indicates M1 stepping.

KenTanker0us
Level 7
There is a thin sticker with barcode located on the 24pin conncector. Its last 4 digits are FDE3. Does this help?

I was assuming you wanted the last 4 digits of the serial number. I should point out that, perhaps because this is an RMA mobo, there aren't the same stickers on the underside of the board I've seen on other P9X79 Pro boards. On this one there is only one sticker listing the place of manufacture and the serial number.

Thanks for your help.

Chino
Level 15
Ok. Don't worry about it, mate. Try the following.

1. Remove everything and disconnect everything from your motherboard.
2. Take out the battery.
3. Wait for 5 minutes.
4. Put the battery back into place.
5. Insert your CPU and the stock heatsink.
6. Insert one stick of RAM (The Gskill preferably) into the DIMM_D1 slot.
7. Insert your GPU.
8. Connect only the power cables to your motherboard (24pin and 8 pin) and to your GPU.
9. Power on the motherboard using the Power on switch.