cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Extreme and G.Skill Trident X 2800 Mhz. 16 GB kit

Nate152
Hello ROG gamers, I am a hardcore gamer too and am new to the ROG community. I have just successfully completed my second high end gaming rig build, this being the first with an asus motherboard. Here are the components. Case: Thermaltake Armor+ VH6000. Motherboard: Maximus V Extreme. CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.7 Ghz. RAM: G.Skill Trident X 2800 Mhz. 16 GB. GPU : GTX 680 FTW 4 GB x3 in SLI. Hard Drive: OCZ Vector 256 GB and a Samsung CD/DVD player/burner all being run by the PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 1200 watt power supply. Monitor: HP LP3065 30 inch. I have updated the bios to 1604. Everything is working great except I have one little issue with the RAM. I can only get it to run at 2400 mhz. If I set the x.m.p. profile or enter the memory frequency manually and I hit F10 save and exit, The pc shuts off for a few seconds, boots back up and says overclocking failed ! I'm sure it is just one of those voltage adjustments in the bios that I don't know what some of them are for. If any of you guys are running the RAM I have or have any information to post on how to get the RAM running at 2800 mhz. that would be great. Thanks for any replies.
17 REPLIES 17

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your ram is dependant on the CPU being able to handle the frequency. 2400MHz doable most of the time, 2600MHz or 2666MHz is doable for 50% of CPU's but 2800MHz is only possible about 10% of the time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Nate152
Thanks for your reply HiVizMan, I been looking into this a little further and found that it is most likely the VCSSA voltage for the memory controller on the cpu needs raised a little to get to 2800 mhz. But I also read that setting VCSSA to 1.2 volts can do damage. I have my VCSSA set to auto and it says 1.1+ volts. So I am not going to fool with that just yet. That RAM kit was 569.99 at newegg and is now discontinued. I think I can do 2800 mhz. with the right settings. But anyway I found this article I'd like you to take a look at. Maybe you can elaborate on it a little bit with me. This is a 32 GB kit. http://www.tweaktown.com/pressrelease/8008/g-skill-launches-world-s-fastest-ddr3-32gb-memory-kit-tri...

Zka17
Level 16
Wow, 32GB to 2800MHz... it certainly will stress the IMC... - and yes, you perhaps need to increase the voltages for that...

penantday
Level 7
good info, and yes, you perhaps need to increase the voltages for that.thanks for your sharing

HiVizMan
Level 40
Zka I have seen 64GB at 3000MHz - but they were cherry picked kits of ram. And an outstanding CPU with one of the strongest IMC's I have ever seen.

OP it is really all IMC dependant. It matters not if your ram can do it, all that matters is if your CPU IMC can. But you never know until you try and that is half the fun. So go for it and see what your system can do. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I saw a site where someone has taken the Trident x 2666 mhz. RAM up over 2900 mhz. with air cooling with the i7 3770k cpu. So I know this can be easily done with 2800 mhz. RAM. Today I contact G.Skill tech support and find out how to do it. I will post results and info. Here check this out, this is with the maximus v Gene. http://www.overclockers.com/gskill-tridentx-ddr3-2666-memory-review

Nate152 wrote:
I saw a site where someone has taken the Trident x 2666 mhz. RAM up over 2900 mhz.[/url]

And I once ran a set of 12800 1600MHz ram at 2600MHz Cas6 for super pi 32 mil - but like I have said a couple of times that was with a very good IMC and in the example cited a fair amount of LN2 on the ram. Sadly you do not always get the full story from the internet or the posts that you see on forums. Many times folks have been seeded kit by the vendors, just like I am sent stuff by memory manufactures and others. Some of the time those kits are cherry picked and not representative of retail samples.

Zka17
Level 16
Well, I did push the Trident X to 2968MHz too, but not for everyday use... and it was only 4GB...