cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula BIOS update issues

TFCC
Level 7
Hi, I own the Crosshair V Formula (not the Z revision) and because I may have an opportunity to obtain an FX 8350 very cheaply decided to update my BIOS from the 1402 version I was on to the latest 1703 for the new CPU support.
I used the EZ Flash utility in the BIOS and sucessfully updated it, booting in to it and it reporting as the 1703 version. However, since updating I have not been able to boot my Mint Linux installation. I have been able to boot a live USB version (which interestingly now displays a short message of "Secure boot not enabled" between the F8 boot menu and the GRUB bootloader, which I don't remember being there before). I have used this live USB to confirm nothing in my installation has changed since I powered my PC down to update the BIOS. I still have an intact FAT32 EFI partition with a boot flag.
I have been through everything in the BIOS and cannot get my installation to boot whatsoever. I initially started with Load Optimized defaults and have confirmed in the BIOS that my disks (OS + data) are connected and the boot order is right, but cannot even boot from the F8 boot menu as it tells me something along the lines of 'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press any key'.

I would be extremely grateful for any help provided and will endeavour to provide you with any information you need.

Currently using a FX 8150, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP @ 1600MHz, 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 for OS, empty 750GB Seagate HDD and 3TB Seagate HDD for my data.

Help 😞
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not really able to offer Linux support here. Think that some bios's that are written with Win8 in mind have had similar issues.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

TFCC
Level 7
AFAIK my board does not have the Secure Boot feature on it (the Z revision does, however) and even if it did it can be disabled in the BIOS of any major vendor, especially Asus, who are quite Linux friendly.
Also, if I do not specifically target the boot drive with F8 I get a flashing underscore after the BIOS screen that just hangs there.

Chino
Level 15

TFCC
Level 7
Nope, just Mint Linux KDE 14 on the SSD which has been working like a charm from day 1. Tried flashing with the 1402 BIOS which apparently succeeded (BIOS said 1402) but no luck so now I'm back on the 1703 because ideally I would like to have that working so I can potentially drop in an FX 8350 in the future.

Question, did the BIOS reset the settings for Secure Boot (if applicable to your platform). That is the only thing that I can think of, considering that the kernel should still boot. I am not that familiar with the settings for the Crosshair Mobos, so I'm sorry that I can't be of more help.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Chino
Level 15

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
For your bootup problems, go to the boot tab and click on Hard Drive BBS Priority and select your boot drive then save and reboot...it *should* work...I hope lol

TFCC
Level 7
Here are all my disks showing up in SATA config.

Here is my boot tab.

And finally here is my Harddrive BBS (with my SSD as the first and only boot drive, after trying every other configuration).

I really wish I hadn't mentioned the Secure Boot thing as I know (and have confirmed) that my BIOS does not have any implementation of it and my motherboard does not feature it (it was the selling point of the later Crosshair v Formula-Z).
I'm really at a loss for what to do. I may attempt a reinstall and see if that will boot but I'll have to back up plenty of configuration files.
The bootloader may be corrupted but I don't understand how that would happen between turning my computer off and updating the BIOS,

oldbrave
Level 9
I think what you may need to do is to clear the CMOS, push the clear cmos button (second item down on the rear IO plate) then you can set everything up nice and clean in the bios and that should take care of your problems.
Electronic Smoke Signals From my TechnoTeepee
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5162Mhz [21x245] 1.546v 🙂
Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=52c
32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.5 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU