cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with 1-2 USB ports on my G75VW

finalhour
Level 11
So I've seen a lot of posts about USB issues but mine seems different from the other posts on here. Last night when I went to connect my USB 3.0 2TB External HDD into my left USB port, I got the sound/alert from Windows (windows 😎 that a device had been added over and over and over again (about every second or so). I swapped to a USB port on the other side (right side) of the computer and it mounted and worked fine. I know the drive is fine and the cord is fine.

Is this caused by that ASUS USB Charger plus utility?
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz
10 REPLIES 10

rewben
Level 13
i think to confirm this, you should uninstall that charger plus and reboot twice to see if it's the problem.

rewben wrote:
i think to confirm this, you should uninstall that charger plus and reboot twice to see if it's the problem.

I'll give it a shot, but before I do, what exactly DOES the charger plus utility do? Just wondering if it's even something useful....
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

rewben
Level 13
here's the description of this software.

rewben wrote:
here's the description of this software.

Well thanks for the link haha i had no idea this was just for charging apple devices....I hate apple...*UNINSTALLS*

Pitcher1
Level 9
G75 is 4 USB 3.0port, but you say when you plug to righ it is normal, but plug left, it have problem, you are able to reinstall USB3.0 driver and Charger+, if not help, i think you will check HW.

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
G75 is 4 USB 3.0port, but you say when you plug to righ it is normal, but plug left, it have problem, you are able to reinstall USB3.0 driver and Charger+, if not help, i think you will check HW.

So I uninstalled the ASUS Charger utility and did the restart and now it does connect to my devices, but it seems to lose the connection/unmount my device almost right after I plug it in.... did the troubleshooting wizard in windows and checked the error logs and it's saying that the driver for those ports is crashing

rewben
Level 13
maybe you should try @Clintlgm's suggestion here.

rewben wrote:
maybe you should try @Clintlgm's suggestion here.

What I've noticed is that even after updating to the new BIOS, my G75VW will spin up the dvd-rom drive (audibly) for no apparent reason, I assume that uses power? The USB ports on the same side seem to be messed up since a few BIOS updates ago. From the error logs it's more, like Clintlgm said, a power issue internally. I'd add from my observations of it beginning after the last few updates to the BIOS, that is likely related to the BIOS (from what I can tell) and it's logical to me that the seemingly random firing-up of my DVD-Rom drive when I'm not in Windows Explorer or doing anything related to it (including when I plug a device into a USB port on that side of the machine) could screw up the amount of power that the port is getting. Clintlgm talked about having multiple devices in at once. This has happened while plugged into my charger, with just one device that I'm trying to plug in to either of the two left-hand ports. It's both USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices (One was a CF Card reader and the other was a 2TB External HDD).

Because I've not dropped or damaged my laptop, and because these ports used to work with both Windows 7 AND 8, I'm left with the conclusion that it is not a driver issue (My other 2 ports work flawlessly!), but an issue that ASUS may have brought on in their updates, and needs to properly address. I'm not willing to send away my laptop for them to diagnose this, it's something they need to debug on their end and they should use their own machines to do it--we aren't their guinea pigs, we're paying customers! (I've had a mix of good and bad with support and RMA, especially with my old ASUS laptop, and I've read enough horror stories on here to never trust them with something that I can just work around, like this).

Anyways, sorry for going off on a tangent a bit there, and for the lengthy post. @rewben , I guess I'm just wondering, is the possibility of it being bios-related and like clintlgm suggests, power-related, a crazy thought? Hasn't anyone else had issues with this--is it just windows 8?

Well i haven't update my BIOS beyond 210, I also haven't had any further problems with usb 3.0, I am being careful about connecting to many things at one time. It also seem to me that the left 2 port were more problematic, I usually only connect USB 2 devices on that side now. However USB 3.0 devices do still work there. Connecting multiple devices doesn't seem to mater whether there USB 2 or 3 seems that if 3 or more are connected problems seem to develop. Seems I can have two external hard drive connected transferring data one to the other and a thumb drive either USB 2 or 3 and no issues. But connect a 3rd hard drive and I'll start getting disconnects. That's what leads me to believe that its power to the ports that is the issue? Also the charger plus adds power to the charge plus port? The fact that it increases the amps to that port or ports? seems to me again its a power to the ports problem. For most of us uninstalling and reinstalling or in my present set up not having it installed at all has worked for many of us.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro