Hey guys i just bought a new few parts

Maximus IV Extreme
2nd generetion I5 2500k
Evga 570GTX
Antec Pro 750W 80 plus (gold)
NZXT Phantom

i got 2 old parts i'm using harddrive and Memory
now my memory is g.skill 1066mhz

now this system works but i can over use it because it shut down like everytime i try higher resolution movies or gaming it shut downs for 2 seconds and then goes up and runing again
i took it to the lab they said its the ram causing it and tommorow i want to buy new ram for the motherboard

My question is
1: can the memory really cause it
2: wich Memory from the list to buy? and if it will be runing well with games on high graphics !!

‏2x4GB G.Skill SNIPER Edition Dual Channel CL9
‏2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Edition Dual Channel CL9-9-9-24‎

i really wana know if my problem will be fixed by getting new ram!
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
Running memtest86 will tell you if your memory is bad. It is free so I would take the time to run it tonight before you let them swap your memory for nothing.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
my memory is fine and its working its just not supported for p67 and maxsimus iv extreme.

xeromist
Well, memtest tests the memory by using it. If as you say the computer crashes when the memory is consistently written to then you should also get a crash or error with memtest. It runs from a CD on boot and outside of Windows so it allows you to insulate somewhat from other factors which can cause crashes.

If you're already convinced that memory compatibility is the problem and it's not worth testing then why are you asking if that's your problem? I'm confused.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
because this motherboard is confusing me , if its aint compitable just like the book says why the hell it starts up i'm used to if some kind of part is not compitable system wont display and stuff but this time it diffrent it displays alright but barely can use it so what i want to make sure is,
1: is this really can happen the situation i'm in.
2: if yes by changing to compitable memory will the issue be fixed O_O"
i know it sounds weird but this motherboard is to freaking advanced for little gamer like me XD

xeromist
Ah ok. Well, if you're going purely off of the QVL then that really won't tell you the whole story. That is a list that they have tested and found good. It is by no means exhaustive and it doesn't mean that anything not on the list is going to definitely fail.

In answer to your question, yes bad or incompatible memory can fail after some time even though it may post initially. That is what programs like memtest are designed to do: troubleshoot a system that posts but has an intermittent issue. Generally though, if memory is incompatible you will find out pretty quickly because it just won't post or if it does you will need to seriously tweak settings to get it stable.

If all you have is a tech telling you that your memory is not on the QVL then I'd say it's a bit premature to go buying new hardware unless your store has a really good return policy. I would start by looking at the Windows event log and see if any events seem to correspond to times that the system has crashed. Sometimes this can point you to a specific part of the system like memory or video.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-Event-Viewer