cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z - CPU fan header voltage control?

Retired
Not applicable
I recently purchased the gene-z motherboard and I'm trying to set it up, but ran into a few issues.

I'm using cpu fans that only have 3 pins, so no pwm. So basically they run at full speed all the time. I've had other motherboards with an option to change the cpu fan to voltage controlled, not sure if it is possible with this board. Also, does anyone know what the difference between the CPU_OPT and CPU_FAN header is for? Is it for dual cpu fans?
2 REPLIES 2

Retired
Not applicable
I have the same issue. All my fans are 3-pin.

Have you tried the fan speed control software included in the AISuite on the DVD? I can't get it to install on Win 7 x64. I even downloaded the one off the support site without any luck - that one won't even open as an archive. Speedfan doesn't work either.

Will keep you posted if I have any luck.

Update: Downloaded the AI Suite again, now it opens as an archive but still fails to install.

Retired
Not applicable
I haven't tried the AISuite on the DVD, but I managed to download/install whatever version is up on the asus website. I unziped the file to a directory and then ran asus setup executable I believe. I'm also running windows 7 x64 and I don't remember doing anything special to get it installed. It ended up installed alot of different applications. I tried using FanXpert which allows you to make fan profiles, but it doesn't really seem to do anything to the cpu fans.

I looked around online and I got the feeling that asus only supports pwm control (4 pin) on the cpu headers and voltage control (3 pin) on the chassis headers. In the bios, when I try to adjust the fans, only the ones connected to the chassis headers seem to change. So this somewhat confirms my suspicions. The solution might be to just connect the cpu fans to the chassis headers or just get new 4 pin fans I guess.