cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme Windows 8 Install

brandon66
Level 7
Hey everyone thought i would write this because the multiple times installing windows 8 a different problem every time.

You want to Install windows 8 using UEFI mode(go into your bios and click on the option with the drive letter of your install disk/usb that has UEFI in front of it.

If you have the windows 8 pro upgrade and want to do a clean install this will allow you to activate it:

Open regedit by pressing Windows-q, entering regedit and selecting the result from the list of hits.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
Go back to the start screen and enter cmd there.
Right-click Command Prompt and select to run it as administrator.
Type slmgr /rearm on the command line and hit enter.
Reboot Windows now.
After windows is back up you should be activated!

When you Install windows 8 the drivers you need to include are:

1. Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (WHQL)

2. Intel(R) Management Engine Interface

3. Realtek Audio Driver

4. Your video card driver (Nvidia or AMD)

5.Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver

6. Asus_USB_3_FW_Update_Tool - make sure to update the firmware for usb

7. Asmedia AHCI Driver

8. Bluetooth Driver

Drivers i had problems with are:

1. Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Driver - Seems to name all the drives wrong in the device manager not sure if it cause a performance issue or not. I have not tried Intel RST.
I attached an image of my ssd showing up with a bad name.

If you have raid you should be able to install RST the drive names in the device manager should not matter.

2. ASUS AI Suite II - This caused serious performance issues when installed. I advise to not install it until its updated.

Optional:

1. ASUS ROG Theme -Just because its Awesome!
19 REPLIES 19

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you I will include it in my sig for a while.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Thank you I will include it in my sig for a while.

Awesome ill try to keep it updated, if anyone else has any suggestions to update the post with anything let me know and ill put it up there.

DragonClaVV
Level 9
"1. Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Driver - Seems to name all the drives wrong in the device manager not sure if it cause a performance issue or not. I have not tried Intel RST.
I attached an image of my ssd showing up with a bad name."

Had the same. With a Vertex 4 and a Plextor M5 Pro. With the Plextor M5 Pro and installed RSTE Version from the website ive got a bluescreen while W8 automatic maintaince and the Windows performance index couldnt be created as well.

After that ive not tested anymore and reinstalled Windows without using the RSTe Version. Everything fine now

Jericho
Level 7
I never had any issues installing Win 8. You should really be using the Intel 11.7 rst drivers. And the modded bios if you want trim in raid 0. Asus AI suite works perfectly for me. The only thing that had problems is Corsair Link which has nothing to do with this motherboard. That software is just not compatible with Win 8 and the RST drivers. I also wouldn't be installing that Asmedia crap.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Bios 3404 Nodens
i7 3930K @ 4.4 ghz
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64 gb 1866 8x8gb
2x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4 gb SLI
2x Intel 520 240 gb RAID 0 TRIMMED
2x Velociraptor 300 gb RAID 0
Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler
Coolermaster HAF X Case
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Dell U3011 30 in. Monitor
Win 8 Pro x64

Jericho wrote:
I never had any issues installing Win 8. You should really be using the Intel 11.7 rst drivers. And the modded bios if you want trim in raid 0. Asus AI suite works perfectly for me. The only thing that had problems is Corsair Link which has nothing to do with this motherboard. That software is just not compatible with Win 8 and the RST drivers. I also wouldn't be installing that Asmedia crap.

The Asmedia is mainly for your cd/dvd drives maybe blu-ray ; yea they are slow, but cd/dvd drives will work fine with it. Asus Ai suite seems to hinder windows 8 performance pretty bad. I cant remember what is was; i think it was possibly the Asus fan control service causing the performance issue( Slow at opening everything, slow boot time, just pretty much made windows 8 suck)

brandon66 wrote:
The Asmedia is mainly for your cd/dvd drives maybe blu-ray ; yea they are slow, but cd/dvd drives will work fine with it. Asus Ai suite seems to hinder windows 8 performance pretty bad. I cant remember what is was; i think it was possibly the Asus fan control service causing the performance issue( Slow at opening everything, slow boot time, just pretty much made windows 8 suck)

I remember reading about the fan control service bug. When I installed AI suite I just deselected it for installation. I wasn't going to use it anyway. I mainly use Probe II and it works flawlessly.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Bios 3404 Nodens
i7 3930K @ 4.4 ghz
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64 gb 1866 8x8gb
2x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4 gb SLI
2x Intel 520 240 gb RAID 0 TRIMMED
2x Velociraptor 300 gb RAID 0
Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler
Coolermaster HAF X Case
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Dell U3011 30 in. Monitor
Win 8 Pro x64

izajasz
Level 10
+1 , do not install AI Suite . The nwest so far is 2.x and it is a load of crap, it bugs win8 as hell. Use RST 11.7 instead of RSTe and make sure You isntall in UEFI mode with UEFI drivers prio in CSM 🙂
MOBO: MVIE BIOS 1402 stock
CPU Core i7 4770K
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom. Platinum CMD16GX3M4A1866C9 in XMP, SPEC: http://bit.ly/Z56xfm
SSD/HDD: OS-SAMS 840Pro 256GB, APPS - SAMS 830 512GB, DATA - Seagate ST1000DM003
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ in SLI config (UEFI BIOS)
AUDIO: Onboard
CPU Cooling: Corsair H110
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000W (SS-1000XP)
CASE: NZXT Phantom 630
DISPLAY: ASUS VG278Q (120Hz)

maximiza
Level 11
Asus_USB_3_FW_Update_Tool

I am curious what this does?
https://valid.x86.fr/m9kp13

maximiza wrote:
Asus_USB_3_FW_Update_Tool

I am curious what this does?

It updates the firmware for the onboard usb