cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX - Very high CPU temperature

cvmocanu
Level 7
Hello,

I recently bought a G75VX laptop and I see that the CPU is almost frying! I stays between 85 and 97 degrees celsius, even with little load.

Also, if I put the CPU under stress (e.g. Prime95), the temperature doesn't go much higher (that would mean a forced shutdown, I guess), but after a while (after I CPU load gets low) the temperature drops to about 70 degrees.

This all looks to me that the fans start kicking in and they do their thing.

Still, with 97 degrees under load, I guess my CPU would last me a few weeks at most. This is dangerously close to Tjmax. Also, the reason why I purchased a new laptop was because the old one was shutting down itself under heavy load because of the temperature. I don't want the same issue again 😞

I read that G75 has really good cooling, but this is far from what I see.

I will open the laptop and see if the fans are somehow blocked and report back (this is a work laptop and I'm currently at work).

The temperature readings were measured with multiple programs (RealTemp, CoreTemp, SpeedFan, HwMonitor), because at first I couldn't believe my eyes and thought it's a bug in the monitoring program.

Do you have any advice?
Is there any software/hardware to set the fan speed (as the default settings is obviously faulty - it should react to temperatures such as this)?
Is this a hardware defect? Should I send the laptop back?

Thanks a lot.
14 REPLIES 14

bignazpwns
Level 11
Yeah with my multi locked at 32 I don't even get close to your temps. Deff. need a repase and a reseat of the heatsink. RMA time and I wish you the best of luck with it.

rewben
Level 13
if you're within the return window, you should be able to get an one-to-one exchange with your retailer.

rewben wrote:
if you're within the return window, you should be able to get an one-to-one exchange with your retailer.

+1 to that

Yeah something is not right. When pummeling my CPU 100%, OC'ed slightly from 3.2ghz four cores to 3.25+ghz four cores I hit around 90degC but no more.

Pitcher1
Level 9
please clean cooloing system first, if not help, please return it to replace or repair.

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
please clean cooloing system first, if not help, please return it to replace or repair.

The laptop is brand-new. I opened the back part and the fans look clean, and I didn't see anything obstructing them.
I will have to replace or repair, I guess.

Does anyone knows what is the expected temperature in full load (factory settings - no overclock) for the CPU of this laptop?

Vicodin
Level 10
I would definitely try to take it back and exchange it from where you bought it. RMA at Asus can be a nightmare from what I have heard.

If you're not under warranty, try re-applying the thermal paste.

Are you protein folding or something?

jpomz wrote:
If you're not under warranty, try re-applying the thermal paste.

Are you protein folding or something?

The laptop is brand-new. I'm not protein folding, but even if I were, would a temperature of 97 degrees Celsius be considered normal (given a Tjmax of 105)? Should ASUS allow such temperatures for an un-overclocked CPU, regardless of the software being run? For me that's a recipe for frying CPUs very quickly, or even worse, just after warranty ended.