cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC monitor says no signal when I switch on the PC but works second time

jceg316
Level 7
Hello,

When I turn my PC on I can hear the HDD, fans etc all start up, the hard drive light comes on etc but the monitor says "no signal". The reset button doesn't work so I turn it off and when I turn it on again it works perfectly. No error messages or anything. This happened when I upgraded the firmware for my mobo and upgraded to Windows 7 SP1.

So far I've tried formatting my PC, setting my PCIE graphics card to be booted up in BIOS (as opposed to the on board one), trying a different input in the graphics card, checked the power cables are all plugged in properly, upgrading all drivers to everything my PC has, upgraded the firmware on the mobo.

My spec:
mobo: Asus Maximus V Gene
GPU: Nvidia 2GB EVGA GTX 670
PSU: 850W XFX XXX P1-850B-UKB9
CPU: Intel core i7 Ivy bridge
Ram: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
20 REPLIES 20

nikosa43
Level 12
Hi jceg316, welcome to the forum.You came to the right place and there are lots of people here, willing to help you.When you start up for the first time with no signal to the monitor, please check your mainboard and report back any error code on the digital display. It's a two digit one. It can have either numbers or letters.Also what is your firmware (BIOS Revision) and how you flashed it.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Weird...if I were you I would download a fresh copy of the BIOS file and reflash it if you can. The BIOS should automatically choose the card over the CPU onboard graphics if that's what you meant.

prosenjit
Level 7
Please mention all the details of your system...CPU,MOB,RAM,Bios,GPU....

that 'll be helpful for us..
FORTUNATE 2.0

CPU: i7 3770K
CPU COOLER: H80
MOB: Maximus V Formula
RAM: Dominator Platinum 16GB
GPU: ZOTAC 560Ti AMP!
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB + Kingston HyperX 120GB
HDD: WD Green 1TB + 2TB
PSU: VX 550W
CAB: CM 690 II Advance
FAN: Noctua 140mm * 2
Razer Deathadder 2013 + Deathstalker
DISPLAY: V2220H
UPS: Back-UPS RS 1100

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
jceg316 wrote:
Hello,

When I turn my PC on I can hear the HDD, fans etc all start up, the hard drive light comes on etc but the monitor says "no signal". The reset button doesn't work so I turn it off and when I turn it on again it works perfectly. No error messages or anything. This happened when I upgraded the firmware for my mobo and upgraded to Windows 7 SP1.

So far I've tried formatting my PC, setting my PCIE graphics card to be booted up in BIOS (as opposed to the on board one), trying a different input in the graphics card, checked the power cables are all plugged in properly, upgrading all drivers to everything my PC has, upgraded the firmware on the mobo.

My spec:
mobo: Asus Maximus V Gene
GPU: Nvidia 2GB EVGA GTX 670
PSU: 850W XFX XXX P1-850B-UKB9
CPU: Intel core i7 Ivy bridge
Ram: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance

Welcome to the Asus ROG forums.
When you 'turn it on for the first time' how long did you let it run? 5-10sec? You need to be patient and let it do it's thing. After removing power it will "double-pump" meaning it will come on for several seconds, then turn off for a couple of seconds, then comes back on. POST may take up to 45 seconds to start at that point. The board needs to do "memory training" and some vid cards take longer to initialize than others. IDK about your board, but the RIVE sometimes takes over 2 minutes to do it's "memory training" on selected subsequent POSTs after setting or changing memory settings. After a few dozen POSTs this doesn't happen any more as the "memory training" is complete.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

nikosa43
Level 12
I suspect, at the first boot it stops with an error code and with the second boot gets some optimal values and start, like pressing memok.

Hello, thanks for replying it's much appreciated.

nikosa43: I will look at the code next time I start the PC and write it in this thread. The trouble is it's quite difficult to recreate this problem: My general use is I turn on the PC, it doesn't start up so I restart, it starts up properly, I use the PC, turn it off then go to bed. Next day I come home from work and turn it on, same error occurs. However, if I shut down the PC, it will work when I turn it on again within a given time frame and I'm still not sure what that time frame is. So far I know it's more than 3, less than 16.

Arne Saknussemm: I have tried reinstalling/reflashing the BIOS but it's made no difference unfortunately. I read elsewhere it may be worthwhile resetting the CMOS which I tried earlier but will let you know tomorrow if that worked.

prosenjit: My original post has CPU, GPU, mobo & RAM, BIOS version is 1604. Is there anything more specific you were after?

HalloweenWeed: PC used to work fine with very fast startup speeds on the first attempt, I don't think it would suddenly go from less than 1 minute to longer than five. I have waited for several minutes previously and nothing.

Thanks for all your replies, it's much appreciated!

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
That's your PSU. 90% certain.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

jceg316
Level 7
I'm very interested to find the root cause of this, why do you think it's the PSU out of interest?

nikosa43
Level 12
Ok. Next time before you turn ON, open the cover of the case and when it happens check the code on the mainboard's display. Also, if your memory is installed to 1 and 3 slots, please install it to 2 and 4.