+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ASUS Live Update, Why Don't It Do The Job?

New ROGer DJWJR +10

ASUS Live Update, Why Don't It Do The Job?

Past Laptops I have had that had update software provided by the maker would scan the pc and actually determine what updates were needed on my particular PC; this included drivers and bios updates. The ASUS does not seem to do this. My new G75VW came with Bios version 218 while 223 is listed on the website. Based on this I can see that it is going to require me to check every driver for every part of the system and compare it to the website by version # and date! Is the ASUS Live Update program of any use?

ROG Guru: Green Belt sectionate +20 sectionate's Avatar

you shouldnt update hardware/firmware drivers unless you have a problem with said device.
    Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - XFX (2) HD5750 - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ-SyncMaster P2350-Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - ASUS GTX 660 Top - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Scythe Ultra Kaze fans - latest quakelive.com frag video - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

ASUS Reseller Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc +125 Shawnnepc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sectionate View Post
    you shouldnt update hardware/firmware drivers unless you have a problem with said device.
    ^ pretty much this.

The only exception would be video drivers as they often improve performance on a number of new and popular titles
    USA ASUS Reseller
    http://www.neteffectspc.com

imMortal Kombatant Myk SilentShadow +200 Myk SilentShadow +200 Myk SilentShadow +200 Myk SilentShadow's Avatar

Also chipset drivers i'd have to say are pretty important...if changelogs show a good enough reason for the update...unless the fix is for a major bug.
    MotherboardRampage IV Formula CPU3820 RAMCorsair XMS3 8GB 1600 VGAGigabyte GTX 285 SSD/OSCorsair Neutron 128GB HDD/DataSeagate 2TB CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha

ROG Overclocking Education Center ||| ROG RealBench Tweaks & Tips

Helium Chilled MarshallR@ASUS +75 MarshallR@ASUS's Avatar

Only graphics drivers provide significant performance boosts tbh. The rest - if it works or Windows update doesn't ask you, don't poke it
    Richard Swinburne
    ROG HQ
    Innovate. Never Imitate.

When I get reeeally sad about missing someone far away, I just take a deep cleansing breath, then switch to the rifle with a scope.

ROG Guru: Green Belt sectionate +20 sectionate's Avatar

Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - XFX (2) HD5750 - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ-SyncMaster P2350-Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - ASUS GTX 660 Top - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Scythe Ultra Kaze fans - latest quakelive.com frag video - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

ROG Member lol101 +10

The only live update I find to be the best is Lenovo's (IBM) ThinkVantage Update. On a clean install with just the network card working. That thing will scan your system and then give you almost all of the updates for your system. It's great since it can detect drivers for "Unknown devices" in device manager, bios updates, and utilities that originally came with the system like HotKeys, Eject utility, and others.

New ROGer DJWJR +10

The problem is that I have a problem, Windows 8 fails to fully recognize my DVDRAM (H-DT-ST) fully, it does not give the model # in Device Manager despite the model being listed in the bios. Also; I believe I have seen listed on the G75 forum that there are improved drivers for the sound card? Another question; what is the max download/upload speed for the installed wireless card? Can I install a card that would also provide Bluetooth? I agree with the old 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' but then I also look to see what can be improved.. Is that not the reason for overclocking? Are you not fixing what is not broke despite seeking additional performance? I am an old fart that is always learning.... Thankful for all info and advice... I think my 1st real concern is going to be adding a good SSD and replacing the slow HD that is currently installed in the machine.. Just something to do with all the retired time I have on my hands now...

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Vicodin +10 Vicodin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    Only graphics drivers provide significant performance boosts tbh. The rest - if it works or Windows update doesn't ask you, don't poke it
    I recently installed an mSATA SSD in my Asus G55 laptop. I was getting half of the write speeds I should have been. I went through the intel website and updated a few various Intel 7 Series Chipset drivers, as well as a SATA controller driver*. (none which were available for download from Asus) My write speeds on my SSD doubled. So some can be more important than one would think.
    Razer Blade 14"
    i7 4702 | 8gb ram | Nvidia GTX 765m | Samsung 256gb mSata SSD x2
    Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200 5ms(GTG) External Display

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Vicodin +10 Vicodin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sectionate View Post
    LOL... pretty sure none of us have AMD chipsets in our G Series Laptops with Intel processors....
    Razer Blade 14"
    i7 4702 | 8gb ram | Nvidia GTX 765m | Samsung 256gb mSata SSD x2
    Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200 5ms(GTG) External Display

+ Reply to Thread