Not applicable
Some of you have reported that twinturbo does not work. Here is the fix:

Opened Command Prompt with Administrator rights and enter this:

• bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
  • then Reboot

You can undo by entering:

• bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
  • then Reboot

From the benchmarks i tested off vantage, you can see the performance difference after this fix.

Before fix, twinturbo function would get lower benchmark scores:
vs

After fix, twinturbo is functioning properly:
vs

This has been tested on the G73Jh and should work for other models that have the turbo option. please let me know if you have had success with this fix and post some screen shots with your model here to further validate the fix.

Why does this occur? Windows 7 systems by default use the Time Stamp Counter (TSC), rather than the High Precision Event Timer (HPET) as the default timer during program execution. We are essentially enabling the HPET
26 REPLIES 26

jorlanm
Level 7
I typed this on an G73sw-3DE it accepted it. Will it do anything to it?
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

Retired
Not applicable
you should do some benchmarks to compare before and after. turbo off and on. then compare it to turbo on and off after the platformclock is on.

Chastity
Level 10
This is primarily for 1st gen i7 people. No reason for 2nd Gen (SandyBridge) folks, but no harm doing this either. SW/SX folks don't have a TwinTurbo option. Too bad. 😞
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
i have g73jh-tz091v...i would love to now do i have turbo mode or not? Can anyone say something?

Retired
Not applicable
Bonus, if you have the ATK package installed and power4gear installed, press the middle of the 3 buttons decicated buttons, you should see it come on or off onscreen. As Brian noted, the only way to know for sure it is increasing performance is to benchmark before and after doing the fix. From what I read it only gives a modest clock boost, If you want more OC on CPU you will need other tools installed, http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/
I am not advocating this (sefsb) BTW

Retired
Not applicable
yes after i loade this softwares everything is working working.Thank you....

TheOriginalTO
Level 7
What settings do you use in 3dmark, all my numbers came up, but my score was 0 for some reason...
You Heard It From - ']['he (())riginal - ']['.(()).

Retired
Not applicable
TheOriginalTO wrote:
What settings do you use in 3dmark, all my numbers came up, but my score was 0 for some reason...

The Performance preset should work the best.

mstcobra
Level 7
My results seem to contradict yours.

Test Machine:
g73jh with i720, HD5870 and 8 gigs ddr3 1333
Cat version 11.8 early preview
Win 7 hp x64
benchmark 3DMark 11 Basic

test 1:
Twinturbo off, timer = TSC (default), no overclocking
RESULTS Click Me (3DMark Score P2233 - Physics Score 3781)

test 2:
Twinturbo on, timer = TSC (default), no overclocking
RESULTS Click Me (3DMark Score P2242 - Physics Score 3936)

test 3:
Twinturbo off, timer = HPET (fix), no overclocking
RESULTS Click Me (3DMark Score P2222 - Physics Score 3592)

test 4:
Twinturbo on, timer = HPET (fix), no overclocking
RESULTS Click Me (3DMark Score P2229 - Physics Score 3724)

test 5:
Twinturbo on, timer = HPET (fix), GPU overclocked to 800/1100MHz & CPU overclocked by editing pll registries with setfsb (1755MHz on all 4 cores with full load)
RESULTS Click Me (3DMark Score P2490 - Physics Score 3828)

test 6:
Twinturbo off, timer = TSC (default), GPU overclocked to 800/1100MHz & CPU overclocked by editing pll registries with setfsb (1755MHz on all 4 cores with full load)
RESULTS Click Me (3DMark Score P2495 - Physics Score 3944)

As seen here by my results the best performance is obtained by leaving TT off, the timers on the normal TSC, GPU @ 800/1100MHz and CPU overclocked via increased blck. Although it only gave a 5 point improvement in total score 2490 < 2495 it gave a 116 point increase in physics (cpu) score 3944 > 3828.

I am aware that some people mainly setfsb users are experiencing timing issues and if that is the case changing to HPET timing might help. As for me and I will assume other people who have the same rig and are not experiencing sync issues IMO it is better to leave the timer alone and forget about Asus TT.
G73jh