Here's the first app we're rolling out: currently it's for all ASUS GTX 680 owners. Simply download and run the executable to upgrade your VGA BIOS to GOP UEFI ready that will allow you to use Win 8 Fast Boot with a compatible UEFI motherboard.
Please carefully note the limitations first
* This is a preliminary roll-out to check our automated software. There should be no issues with the update, it's just a scripted NVFlash. Further cards will be supported soon. GTX 680 owners please help to report back if it's all successful.
* All and only ASUS GeForce GTX 680s are supported with this particular tool (the software checks against pre-loaded ROMs)
This bit is critical:
* You will be UNABLE to flash back to the original legacy-only BIOS. HOWEVER, the new GOP UEFI BIOS is actually a Hybrid BIOS. It includes the legacy one as well as the UEFI one. But...
* We are only able to qualify its use ASUS motherboards: that includes those with UEFI BIOS' and those with older legacy BIOS' (we've checked on boards up to ~4 years ago). Other motherboards might work with our UEFI graphics cards but we cannot officially endorse compatibility as we don't have access to all BIOS and board revisions. I'm willing to keep a list on here if users really want to test non-ASUS boards.
* (If you intend to sell-on your card to fund a future upgrade, since you can't flash back, remember this decision affects the next person you sell to)
Do you need this GOP UEFI update?
If you want to use Win 8 Fast Boot, then yet, otherwise no. Do not upgrade if you don't need to. (If it works, don't fix it )
What factors do you need to get Win 8 Fast Boot running?
Only these motherboards listed below support Win 8 Fast Boot, due to a major, ground-up re-write to make the UEFI spec compatible with the Win function (this doesn't just affect ASUS motherboards FYI).
- All Intel 7 Series
- Upcoming Intel 8 Series
- Intel X79 Series updated to Win8 BIOS (3xxx)
- Intel H61 Series R2.0 or later
- All AMD R2.0 Series or later
Despite others being 'UEFI' boards (P67, Z68 etc) they are not compatible with Win 8 Fast Boot even after you update to GOP UEFI on your graphics card.
So, it's a Hybrid BIOS? Does that mean if I plan to upgrade my motherboard and OS to Win 8 later I can still update my GPU BIOS now?
As long as you own an ASUS board, sure. Upgrading the GPU now in preparation will still allow it to fall-back to legacy mode on your ASUS motherboard for the time being. You should see no change in the way it functions or performs. We still encourage the 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' though.
If you have read all the disclaimers and everything's still good-to-go, download it here: ASUS Webstorage
To check if the BIOS update has been completed successfully, please use GPU Tweak to check if it's one of these BIOS versions: