brand new g46 out of a sealed box and have this device with problems:
USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller has a driver problem

Tried reinstalling driver but did not fix

any solutions?

thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Clintlgm
Level 14
Delete it from Device manager, reboot and download the latest USB 3.0 drivers from Intel and install. I'm not familiar with the G46 if you have Asus Charger Plus uninstall it form Control Panel/Programs Features. Reboot twice and reinstall it if you use or need it.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Pitcher1
Level 9
is it exclamation mark in device manager? please find the driver for win 8.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/usb-if-xhci-usb-host-controller-...

City_Builder
Level 7
Ive seen that topic but did not find a valid download for any drivers. Being as how this laptop ships with Windows 8, I would expect for Asus to have the updated driver available somplace, not so?

yes exclamation mark i device manager

If what you're saying is that you got this error before you did anything to a new G46VW out of the box, then I'd return it at once. Nobody else has reported this problem and I certainly don't have it. Best guess is a hardware issue or it was an open box computer that someone failed to do a clean install on or similar...

City_Builder
Level 7
unfortunately maybe nobody report it here but check link above, many asus owners have this problem.

dclanz
Level 10
I too have seen this after restoring my system. On both occasions I just deleted it. If I remember correctly it reports that it is installed properly but not functioning. Tested all my hardware and stuff functions correctly so I'm not sure what it is used for. However you can find all your factory installed drivers at C:\eSupport\eDriver or the latest at http://www.asus.com/ROG/G46VW/#support_Download_36
One point of interest, if stuff works, don't bother updating unless you need to, especially true of the BIOS update. I've seen around the forums some users experiencing difficulties after flashing the BIOS (on various ROG notebooks). Do update the graphic card drivers though. 🙂

City_Builder
Level 7
Okay well I uninstalled it and now my notebooks camera works like it should. While that was preset in device manager anytime I'd try to use lifeframe it would just tell me the camera was disabled. After uninstalling that device, the camera works as it should.

Thanks for the replies.

ahiatt3072
Level 7
Just noticed this with my G46V. It only started AFTER I enabled USB device charging while the laptop is off.

Yea Charger Plus has caused problems from the start with this series of Notebooks
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro