cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbolt Add in + Onboard Sound

celticguy75
Level 8
Ok,

Since deciding to change my plan slightly, I haven't given this much thought until today.

I use the sound on the pc only for playing games or watching video. Now, the recommendation is that this thunderbolt card is used with headphones. How easy is it to set the onboard sound up to use speakers, whilst using the thunderbolt to use headphones.

I'm guessing that you can set the video playing software to utilise the onboard, whilst the games can be told to use thunderbolt. I also guess that with the board, you don't need to disable one or the other within the device manager.

Anyone had any experience with this? or are you all headphone wearers 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

Cyrekk
Level 10
You used to be able to do this in previous versions of Windows, but that functionality has since been removed in recent versions. Your sig says your running Win7 Ultimate. There is currently no native support for running multiple audio devices simultaneously. I tried doing the same kind of thing a while back (almost a year) and found no work around. There may yet be one, but I am not aware of it (I haven't looked since last fall).

EDIT:
you can set the video playing software to utilise the onboard

Sorry, this should definitely be possible, but only if your video software supports the audio device configuration. Make sure to check the box in the device properties that says "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" (right click the sound icon > playback devices > right click the device > Properties > Advanced.
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS

celticguy75
Level 8
hmm, if that's accurate, then the tbolt card might gather dust on the shelf and stick with either the onboard sound or get a Asus Xonar DG card so I have the best of both worlds, even if I do miss out on the Killer

Sorry, it's 3:30am where I am right now, check my edit. 😛
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS